Murren to Zermatt round trip in one day?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kweinheimer
Kweinheimer
8 posts
Mar 25, 2018 - 10:14 PM

We are staying in Murren.

Is it possible to go round trip to Zermatt in one day allowing for sight seeing along the way?

rockoyster
rockoyster
4019 posts
expert
Mar 26, 2018 - 12:36 AM in reply to Kweinheimer

You can certainly get travel from Mürren to Zermatt and back in a day. How much sight seeing depends on when you leave and when want to get back.

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out how long the trip will take.

At least one direction you should consider going via Kandersteg. It will add about 1 hour on top of the faster route but will avoid the quite long Lötschberg Base Tunnel as you will travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old scenic mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5163 posts
expert
Mar 26, 2018 - 1:00 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockoyster-

<<"t will add about 1 hour on top of the faster route but will avoid the quite long Lötschberg Base Tunnel and travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old scenic mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.">>

Seems a bit unclear. How will it avoid travel between Spiez and Brig on the Lötschberger?

Slowpoke

rockoyster
rockoyster
4019 posts
expert
Mar 26, 2018 - 1:04 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hello Slowpoke old chap. I missed a couple of words out. Now fixed. I am indebted to your sharp eyes.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5163 posts
expert
Mar 26, 2018 - 1:08 AM in reply to rockoyster

G'day Rockoyster-

<<"Hello Slowpoke old chap. I missed a couple of words out. Now fixed. I am indebted to your sharp eyes.">>

Please return the favor when appropriate. You will surely have some opportunities. ;-)

Slowpoke

Kweinheimer
Kweinheimer
8 posts
Mar 26, 2018 - 3:38 AM

Thank you to both of you . . . This information will prove valuable as we make the most of our time.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018