Mürren to Zurich by train and boat in Sept?

• PaulD
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 May 2021 at 17:07:00 #825834

Hello,

We are planning a trip to the Bernese Oberland in the first two weeks of September, returning from Murren to Zurich for a night before flying out. We love a nice boat trip so on the map it looked like we could maybe go from Murren to Interlaken Ost, then take a boat to Brienz and pick up a train to Zurich from Brienz. Is that a crazy idea (for mid-September with some luggage)?

I guess alternatively, it looks like from Interlaken West we could take a boat to Thun and get a train from there, or we will have a couple of nights in Lucerne at the beginning of the trip and maybe it makes more sense to look for a leisure trip on Lake Lucerne and stick to the trains for the trip back to Zurich?

Any advice on which boat trip might be nicer or make more sense as part of a longer travel day (or if it seems too complicated to try) would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    21 May 2021 at 17:38:04 #935026

Hi PaulD,

A boat trip is always a good idea! I think both of your options (Interlaken Ost – Brienz and Interlaken West – Thun) are do-able. If you have the whole day to spare, I would recommend doing the cruise to Brienz and combine it with a trip up the Brienzer Rothorn, then take the train back to Interlaken for the journey back to Zurich. If you are worried about taking your luggage on the boat, you can use the lockers at the train station. They come in various sizes. More details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage

More information about boat trips on Lake Brienz here: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakebrienz

Alternatively, if you travel by boat to Thun, you could just take your luggage with you on the boat. Thun is a bigger town and has more train connections to Zurich. More details about boat trips on Lake Thun here: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakethun

Best regards,

Anna

PaulD
    Participant
    2 posts
    22 May 2021 at 12:12:57 #935027

Thanks very much for the info and encouragement, Anna!

It looks like for Thun we’d get a longer boat ride and a shorter train ride vs Brienz so I might lean towards that but will definitely consider your suggestion of the Rothorn if it looks like we have enough time.

Paul

• The thread ‘Mürren to Zurich by train and boat in Sept?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.