Murren via Stechelberg or Grutschalp

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 21:54:07 #811949

Hi,

From what I’ve read the route via Stechelberg is the more scenic route. But I can’t find anything regarding which route is faster coming from Lauterbrunnen and which route is cheaper. I’ll be traveling with the Swiss Travel Pass and I saw that this includes travel up to Murren – are both routes completely included? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Lyssa
    Participant
    7 posts
    24 May 2017 at 1:59:49 #863797

Hi,

Both routes are wonderfully scenic. We like to go up via Grutschalp and down via Stechelberg – but you’ll be happy with the views either way, and may depend on what you plan to do when you reach Murren!

If you go up via Grutschalp you will have magnificent views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the mountains from the cable car (stand so you’re facing downhill), and going from Grutschalp to Murren you’ll be facing the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau (sit on the left). Also, if you go this route you have the option to get off the train at Grutschalp and walk along an easy path to Murren (or climb up through the woods to the high path, which is spectacular if you’re a hiker and not in a big hurry). If you do not have the time or desire to walk, then when you get to Grutschalp you will continue into Murren via a train that is timed to meet the cable car at Grutschalp.

If you want to go up to the Schilthorn or down to Stechelberg you walk from the Murren train station down the main street of Murren to the cable car station at the other end of town – from the cable car, you will have dramatic, breathtaking views going up to the Schilthorn or down to Stechelberg.

To get to or from Stechelberg, you will take the bus (or walk!) – a beautiful drive through the Lauterbrunnen valley.

The 2017 Official Timetable (for trains, busses, etc.)

http://www.sbb.ch/en/timetabl e/printed-timetables/official-timetable.html

Timetable aerial cableway

Stechelberg – Gimmelwald – Mürren – Birg – Schilthorn
    Courses every 30 minutes from Stechelberg, from 7.25 to 16.25 h.

Ascents from Stechelberg every hour xx.25 and xx.55 h.

Descent from Schilthorn every hour xx.03 and xx.33 h. Last ride 17.55 h.

We use the half-fare card so I’m not able to help you with costs associated with the Travel Pass.

Enjoy!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 9:28:21 #863798

Hi atedinabox and thanks Lyssa for the great description!

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass covers both routes to Murren – see here for a map of validity for the Swiss Travel Pass.

Here also is a link for walking Lauterbrunnen and Stechelberg if you are interested.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 14:37:46 #863799

Excellent, thanks a lot for the replies Lyssa and Lucas! Especially the very nice description Lyssa. One thing that I would like to know is time – if all I want is the faster route to get to Lauterbrunnen, which option should I go for, assuming that the walking distance inside Mürren is the same for both options?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 15:05:34 #863800

Grutschalp is a little quicker. The Swiss railways timetable will always give you the quickest options when you search for routes.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 1:02:50 #863801

>> One thing that I would like to know is time – if all I want is the faster route to get to Lauterbrunnen, which option should I go for, assuming that the walking distance inside Mürren is the same for both options?

The walking distance within Mürren to the train or cable car will depend on where you are starting from, as they are at opposite ends of the village. Walking time between the railway station and the cable car station is about 10 minutes.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Murren via Stechelberg or Grutschalp’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.