My calculations: Swiss rail pass not economical?

• Blonde_Gypsy
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 November 2022 at 2:37:11 #828581

Hello! I have been calculating train prices to where I’ll be travelling to see if it makes sense for me to buy a swiss flex pass or similiar. From what I have found is that it might not be any savings with a pass but I wanted to pass it buy here in case I am missing something. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

I’ll be taking the train from Zurich airport to Luzern 12.50 CHF and then taking a boat to cross the lake to where I will take a course in Hertenstein – stay there for 5-6 days then take boat to Luzern and train to Aigle on Mon Nov 28th 38.50 chf- I might have to go to nearby village so possible bus or other train stop.

Nov 29 train from Aigle to Zermatt for skiing 29.40 chf. Meet a friend and stay for 5 days in Zermatt. – I am not sure how many tickets for travel I need while here skiing? I have only calculated to here and then to

Dec 4th train from zermatt to Aigle – 17.80 CHF (visit friend) and train from Aigle to Geneva 11.20 CHF- fly out Monday – maybe take train / bus in Geneva for touring?

from what I calculated, my costs is less than or close to the cost of the half fare card (120 CHF) and half the cost of the flex pass. I am uncertain if the half fare card would be necessary. If anyone that has taken trains alot knows – or has advice, please let me know.

thank you! 🙂

I am also thinking about getting a sim card for my 2 weeks if any suggestions for that. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2022 at 10:10:21 #948079

Hi Blonde Gypsy,

I’ve checked the price from Zurich Airport to Lucerne and it costs 30 CHF. This is the normal price. I think you calculated with half price and perhaps even with a SuperSaver ticket. You can read about the SuperSaver tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland. Good to know, that the SBB timetable shows half prices by default, as you would have a Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard). Please recalculate your prices again with the full fare – that will show you whether a Swiss Half Fare Card is good for you. You can also use or calculation spreadsheet: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

For skiing these kinds of tourist passes are not valid, you have to have a ski pass in Zermatt for those 5 days.

In some cases you do not need a Swiss rail pass. If you travel a lot in one day, you can check the Saver Day Pass. But note, they can run out and usually if you buy them earlier they will be cheaper: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2022 at 21:39:35 #948080

Hello again. I recall you asking about Weggis – and in fact your course it at Herterstein.

AS has been said it sounds as though you calculated using the automatic 1/2 price that is fixed into the SBB CFF journey planner (rather irritatingly for those without a half fare card!)

It looks to me as if you are doing plenty of journeys. What you are doing will almost certainly be cheaper with a half fare card. I hold an annula half fare card (even though resident in UK) and on recent visits I have dome far shorter mileage overall that you are planning.

For the longer journeys a Saver Day Pass (which you get cheaper once you are in possession of a half fare card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2022 at 21:48:48 #948081

I’ve looked at the journey Hertenstein – Aigle and the cheapest full fare is about CHF60 so I definitely think you have looked at the 1/2 fare prices. For this journey a Saver Day pass bought in advance might be cheaper.

Beware also of the fact that there are only a few boats on Swiss lakes in late November

For full-day ski-ing in ski resorts the various tourist travel passes have no practical use, you need to but a ski pass.

Are you spending the night of Dec 4 in Geneve? If so you will get a free transport card from your hotel

Blonde_Gypsy
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 November 2022 at 22:53:14 #948082

Thank you so much for your help. I am glad for this forum and that I’m able to post what I think I have researched and now I see that it makes sense to get a half fare card. It seems the website that I was using defaulted to that fare and I didn’t know. The admistration at my school for my courses directed me to taking the boat from Luzerne as I questioned this also but she is there every day, so I am trusting that she knows and I believe we finish early on our last day to accomodate that schedule.

The excel spreadsheet that Ildiko sent is very helpful! thanks for that!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2022 at 11:22:55 #948083

When I said there are fewer boats in November I didn’t mean there are none, just that you need to be careful if you are using one as part of a longer journey to Aigle.

Direct boats Hertenstein – Luzern in November:

11.14, 15.14, 16.14, 17.14, 18.14

If you are going in the evening, most of the journey will be in darkness

Blonde_Gypsy
    Participant
    12 posts
    7 November 2022 at 2:28:12 #948084

thank you for this. I didn’t know that I could find the boat schedule on the same page. 🙂

Blonde_Gypsy
    Participant
    12 posts
    7 November 2022 at 2:45:13 #948085

Thank you. I have re-calculated everything at full price and entered on the spread sheet that you sent a link for. – that spread sheet is very helpful for me! It looks like I should look at the flex pass. Now I am wondering if I should do 3 days or 4 days of the flex pass. Question – is a trip from Zermatt to Gornergrat included on the flex pass? I am assuming that it would be. Would that be on a ski lift pass or is that separate ? I haven’t figured that part out yet – I saw it on the sample and have seen videos of people that go there.

My main travel days are Nov 23 (Zurich to Luzern to Hertenstein), Nov 28 (Hertenstein to Luzern to Aigle), Nov 29 (Aigle to zermatt – I can do a supersaver buy in advance since I can plan an exact time to leave) and Dec 4 (zermatt to Geneva with stop in aigle). So I am torn between a half fare pass or a 3 day flex pass – not use it Nov 29th.

thank you in advance.

Heather

Blonde_Gypsy
    Participant
    12 posts
    7 November 2022 at 3:24:11 #948086

ok… I have one more question – I see a saver day pass and I am not sure what this is!

I am looking up for my friend who is arriving at Geneva airport Nov 29th in the morning at 8am as long as his flights are on time – the options are full price at 102 or saver day pass at 52… So, we can save him 50 chf by purchasing this pass for him to go from Geneva airport to Zermatt? Does this pass sell out? It says it is for all travel in the GA travelcard area of validity – what does that mean – so anywhere in Switzerland? I see that it is not for an exact time of day so if he is an hour late, it will still work? And I see that we can get a saver day pass for going back from Zermatt to Geneva for 61 chf – Does that mean we can get off the train at one of the stations and hop back on an hour or two later?.

Anna
    6355 posts
    7 November 2022 at 7:58:23 #948087

Hi Blonde Gypsy,

You can find more details about the Saver Day Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass. The Saver Day Pass is cheaper if you purchase it early online. It does sell out so best to purchase as early as possible.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2022 at 0:29:36 #948088

Saver Day pass is a ‘day rover ticket’ for a whole country – a rarity in world transport, explained in my guide below

<removed by moderator>

Chuvy
    Participant
    2 posts
    8 November 2022 at 20:10:05 #948089

Hello Anna, i am also trying to figure out which train pass is better and more economical. We are getting to Interlaken from Milan on May 24. We are planning to go to Harder Klum the same day and just explore the area. On the 25th, Isetwlald, Brienze and Brienze Rothorn and other neighboring attractions within the area. 26th- we are planning on taking a train to Gruyere. 27th. Jungfajjoch, Lauterbrunnen and Grindlewald then go Zurich late evening. Zurich on the 28th and we fly back to LA on the 29th. I am not sure if Top of Europe is our best option with a swiss pass combination?! I wss also checking the bernise oberland regional pass. I am a little confused… i am hoping you can assist me. I like the flexibility on the passes. It will be our first time there so i want to plan ahead. I really really appreciate your help.

Blonde_Gypsy
    Participant
    12 posts
    8 November 2022 at 20:24:58 #948090

That excel spreadsheet is fabulous and the saver day pass! so if I book now – I have 4 set days of travel = saver day pass 52 x 3 days plus 70 = 226 is less than half fare for my 4 days of travel and less than the 3 day swiss flex pass – half fare card totals would be 263 – plus you have to buy your tickets – is there any other benefits of the half fare that I might be missing out on? travel days -arrival nov 24, travel nov 28, 29, Dec 4th – my other days are within zermatt so I think I’m covered . I think I have the trains figured out now. 😀 Do my calculations make sense? I had them very wrong my 1st try. lol

I see the saver day pass is more than a point to point tix for zurich to hertenstein but, I think i want the option of touring around Luzern if I am not too tired when I arrive since I wont’ have that chance during my courses or when I go to see my friends.

Blonde_Gypsy
    Participant
    12 posts
    8 November 2022 at 20:28:14 #948091

thanks. bought my 1st saver day pass. i was trying to create an account with sbb but it wouldn’t allow my country (canada) so guest it is…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2022 at 22:52:37 #948092

Berner Oberland Pass is probably your best bet, but it is not valid to Gruyeres. However it is valid as far as Brig, Bern and Luzern which would reduce the cost of your arrival journey from Milan and later journey to Zurich. (Note however the from Brig you must travel over the old Lotschberg mountain route )

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2022 at 22:55:44 #948093

A Saver Day Pass is cheaper if you do have a half fare card, but you can get a Saver Day Pass without a half fare card

Chuvy
    Participant
    2 posts
    8 November 2022 at 23:41:57 #948094

Thank you so much 1960 man. I appreciate your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2022 at 6:54:18 #948095

Hi Blonde Gypsy,

you do not need to create an account (it is more for the Swiss residents), you can still buy your Saver Day Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2022 at 7:23:43 #948096

Hi Chuvy and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

I would like to ask you kindly, please open a new thread next time, instead of continuing someone else’s. Please see the forum rules here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/rules. If you open a new thread for your question it is easier to answer and not to get confused with the other answers. 🙂

We have a calculation spreadsheet here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. Please, use that to compare your option.

I would say that either the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland or the Jungfrau Travel Pass – in case you are looking for a regional pass. You can read about these here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/price and http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/price. Make sure to check all the tabs on those pages, so you’ll see the ‘Where is it valid’ part too.

If you are looking for a pass for the whole of Switzerland, the Swiss Travel Pass can be a good choice: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price. Make sure to check the ‘Where is it valid part” here too.

Or a Swiss Half Fare card: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price.

In case you have a Swiss Half Fare Card or a Swiss Travel Pass, you can get a discount on the regional passes.

And finally, as you are coming from Italy, please check this one too, it will help you to find the best train ticket from Italy: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘My calculations: Swiss rail pass not economical?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.