8 days Lucerne and Jungfrau region in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2019 at 18:59:03 #821084

Hi all –

This website and its mods/members have been tremendously helpful in aiding me to come up with my 8D/7N itinerary to Switzerland from the States. I would like to request anyone to rate my itinerary and recommend anything I could do better and/or answer questions. Thank you all in advance and I’m looking forward to the trip!

I’ll be flying into Zurich on May 9th, in the late afternoon with my 6yr old son and wife. We have hiking experience and difficultly isn’t a problem with us. We’d like to have as many scenic hikes as possible, though I know this is nearly impossible with the trails most likely not being open due to snow. I will most probably buy the 8Day Swiss Travel Pass, though I’m contemplating the 1/2 Price Fare.

May 9th – 11th (Luzern):

May 9th – Arrive and take train from ZUR to Luzern. Explore Luzern – Chapel Bridge, Old town, and hit up Bachman Store Bakery.

May 10th – First 1/2 Day Mt. Titlis :Cliff Walk, Glacier Cave, Ice Flyer. Second 1/2 Day Boat Trip across Lake Luzern to Transportation Museum.

May 11th – Check out and Day trip to Mt. Pilatus: Frankigaudi Tobagan. Then take train to Lauterbrunnen.

May 11th – 13th (Lauterbrunnen)

May 11th – Arrive and explore Lauterbrunnen. Go to Trummelbach Falls if time persists.

May 12th – Grutschalp to Murren hike. From Murren, go to Mt. Schilthorn. Depending on time, walk from Schilthorn to Gimmewald.

May 13th – 15th (Wengen)

May 13th -Train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, Don’t know what to do during the morning/afternoon before check in hotel. Go up to Mannlichen. Playground on top. Royal Walk hike maybe? Then, from Mannlichen, take cable car to Grindelwald. From Grindelwald, take cable car to Mt. First. Mountain carting and scooter Bike down. End of day, take train from Grindelwald to Wengen.

May 14th – Day trip to Zermatt. Go up Gornergrat and hike down. Depending on time, go up Zunegga and hike down as well. Return back to Wengen.

May 15th – Open day, but have to go from Wengen to Zurich HB.

May 16th – Zurich HB to Zurich Flughafen.

Questions

1.)Are there any other scenic hikes that will be open in the Jungfrau region during my time there?

2.)Are there any lockers to put my big backpack in Mannlichen and in Mt. First?

3.)What’s the difference between Grutschalp to Murren hike and the Murren Mountain View trail?Is the Mountain View trail a possible hiking extension once at Murren?

4.)Any particular trails you recommend going down Gornergrat / Zunegga?

5.)Any suggestions what to do first half of day on May13, either in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen?

6.)Any suggestions what to do on May 15th, either near Wengen or Zurich?

7.)Any suggestions for back up activities or rainy day activities?I’m reading Kim11’s infamous document posted in this forum as well.

Possible, but most likely closed hikes

Grindelwald – Mt. First to Bachalpsee Trail ?

Grindelwald – Eiger Trail

Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg hike open?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    19 April 2019 at 20:22:29 #909820

From the US – Count on a day or two of jet lag. Don’t do too much.

If you mean to have hotel stays in Lauterbrunnen and then in Wengen, I suggest you skip Lauterbrunnen and just stay in Wengen. The two are very close to one another. 10 minutes is it? This saves on unpacking and packing.

Read this thread for discussions on what’s closed/open in the Jungfrau region in May. http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/lauterbrunne n-may-16-25th-walking-trails-open

Annika
    7121 posts
    20 April 2019 at 14:15:46 #909821

Hi Orangtolol! Glad to hear MySwissAlps has been useful so far. Here are some answers to your questions:

1) The forum topic pvonk provided you with should be a good start. Unfortunately it’s too early to tell which trails will be accessible during your stay. Just focus on some lower altitude routes I’d say. If higher trails happen to be open once you’re there, that’s a nice bonus!

2) I don’t know of lockers at Männlichen and First. You should be able to store luggage at the Grindelwald railway station though.

3) The Mürren mountain view trail is located at higher altitude than Grütschalp-Mürren (myswissalps.com/hiking /gruetschalp-muerren) and ends up at viewing point Allmendhubel. The route is described here. However, the funiculars from and to Allmendhubel won’t be operating during your stay because of seasonal maintenance. So I’m afraid the higher route is not a good option for you.

4) Gornergrat and Sunnegga may well be too high to offer accessible trails in May. Also, I’m sorry to say that Sunnegga is closed until May 29. You could hike along a lower part of the Gornergrat railway though. Hiking tips near Zermatt are listed at myswissalps.com/zermat t/activities.

5) There are plenty of options to spend half a day near Lauterbrunnen/Wengen. Please see myswissalps.com/jungfr auregion/activities for recommendations. However, I don’t think you need any additional plans, since your itinerary for May 13 is quite amibitous. Even if you start early you’ll easily enjoy yourselves for a full day, with visits to both Männlichen and First.

6) I recommend to travel to Zurich via Interlaken and Lucerne, following part of the Golden Pass route: myswissalps.com/golden pass. Activities in and near Zurich are listed at myswissalps.com/zurich /activities.

7) Train rides, boat rides (https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/sceni ctrips/boat), city visits (https://www.myswissalp s.com/cities) and museums, such as the Ballenberg Open Air Museum near Brienz and the Swiss Museum of Transport in Lucerne (myswissalps.com/museum oftransport) all make for fine alternatives.

• The thread ‘8 days Lucerne and Jungfrau region in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.