• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 15:58:20 #811957

hello all,

please advise me tthe best options .

so far this is my plan.

14th june late night land in GVA

15th june next day morning rent car from GVA to BROC , visit chocolate factory

from broc drive to interlaken and stay in interlaken for 3 nights.

16th june – jungfrow

17th – titlis

18th – train to zermatt

19th – matterhorn

20- glacier express go to zurich – booked

21- rhine falls

22- fly out- booked

now i this is for 2 kids and 2 adults. i need advise on my itinerary, what should i add , how should i go ahead with day to day.

should i take train from GVA to montreux and then board chocolate train? or rent a car is better option and drive to broc. we r renting as we would have luggage with us.

your advise would be appreciated.

i have 8 days swiss pass

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Beatrix
    Participant
    22 posts
    24 May 2017 at 20:56:36 #863828

Just want to share with you: my husband and I were just in both Thun and Interlaken and really, found Thun much more beautiful than Interlaken (which is extremely touristy, just my opinion based on my personal preferences). But I believe the mountains are more readily accessible from Interlaken, so that might work better for you.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 May 2017 at 13:31:58 #863829

Hello vjshah, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Most of your schedule looks fine. It’s pretty busy though, but if you don’t mind long travel days that’s fine. Personally I wouldn’t rent a car for just one day, but just do your trip on June 15 by train. Your Swiss Travel Pass covers the trains to Broc anyway, so you can save a lot of money by not getting a car. It’s a pretty long journey from Geneva to Broc though. You’d best use the timetable to check traveling times. The Chocolate Train leaves from Montreux about 9 am, so you’d have to leave Geneva early to catch it. Regular regional trains will work too. Alternatively you can do some local sightseeing in Montreux (Rochers-de-Naye, Chateau de Chillon) and then head for Interlaken using the Golden Pass route. That will result in a less busy day over all.

If I were you I’d skip Titlis, as this too is a long journey from Interlaken. There’s plenty to see and do much closer to Interlaken; please follow the link I inserted.

On June 20, I’d leave the Glacier Express in Chur and then head for Zurich, rather than stay seated all the way south to St. Moritz. It will be a very long day if you take the entire Glacier Express ride.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 14:47:57 #863830

Thank you so much for your tips and comments.

yes i am taking the ride until chur and then directly to zurich.

I need more help planning my day 1 on 15th june from geneva. i am confused. should i rent car or taking chocolate train. i love chocolates and i want to visit the castle and chocolate/cheese factory. please advise what option should i take.

chocolate train will cost around 60 each we are 4 of us – included free entry to factory and village. but then we have luggage.

car if we rent will cost around 200 , luggage would be taken care of and we will have to pay extra to enter the castle and chocolate factory.

not sure what is the best option? is driving easy there? we are from Chicago.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 9:39:55 #863831

>> car if we rent will cost around 200 , luggage would be taken care of and we will have to pay extra to enter the castle and chocolate factory.

not sure what is the best option?

It might be worth investigating the SBB Express Luggage service as an option:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage/luggage/expres s-luggage.html

You have to make sure you get to the station your luggage is being held at before the baggage area closes, which is usually around 6.00 or 6.30 pm. Instead of forwarding it to Interlaken Ost (as you will probably get there after 6:30 pm, when the baggage area closes), you could forward it to a station where you will have to change trains en route to Interlaken.

When you have decided on a route from Broc to Interlaken Ost, and know what time you will be reaching your transfer stations and final destination, you can use this site to pick a suitable station for forwarding your luggage to:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/iframes/ connections-express-luggage.html

And on this page, you can find out what time the baggage area for your preferred luggage collection station closes:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations.html

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:01:46 #863832

If you decide to rent a car it won’t be too difficult (have a GPS of course). There are some mountain driving on the route so be aware if you aren’t used to it.

In the end either option is valid and it depends on whether you want the convenience of the car or the ease of taking the train (and being able to enjoy the views!) Most people travel by train in Switzerland and it is usually the easier option. Here is some information on the pros and cons of traveling by car and train.

Lucas

• The thread ‘First visit to Switzerland next June please advise’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.