My heart aches for Switzerland

• Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    20 April 2020 at 0:01:22 #825515

Hello to all,

I have been reading many of the recent posts, of the cancelled trips due to COVID. I read the words of other travelers with so much understanding!

Last year in mid June, I lived a dream and hiked for 10 days in the moutains close to Mürren. I slept in two huts. My heart touched heaven!!!! Words cannot describe how those majestic mountains move me!!

When I came back home, I made plans to return. I spend endless hours contacting new huts and small guesthouses. My entire itinerary is set. I was to leave on June 18th, returning June 29th. My heart aches because this trip will not be possible. This was going to be the highlight of my year!!

So when I close my eyes, I see the glorious white capped peaks…

Thank you to all of you for your words of support!!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2020 at 16:04:03 #932210

Hello, I’m confused I thought they were set to open to US travelers on June 15th if everything is going ok? We are set to leave July 21st and our flights have not been cancelled? Just wondering if there has been an update that I am not aware of?

Amy

luvmystang
    Participant
    104 posts
    20 April 2020 at 20:52:28 #932211

I too feel exactly the same way you do about those wonderful mountains and also was there last June with plans for a return this June 17th….I have not yet cancelled anything and I am hoping and praying that I will still be able to return again this year.

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    21 April 2020 at 1:00:28 #932212

Hi Luvmystang

It was reassuring to read your reply, and to know that there are others like you who love the Swiss mountains so much, and that are hoping so very much to go back…..! I have also not cancelled anything at all…… so the dream in my heart continues!!!

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    21 April 2020 at 1:08:18 #932213

Hi Amy,

Although I have also read some information regarding June 15th, in my opinion there is currently so much uncertainty, that this date may change.

We will all keep our fingers crossed! I have not yet cancelled anything…..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2020 at 1:37:41 #932214

I had an 11 days trip planned for June 1st just to be safe I pushed it to August 1st. It is to be my last vacation before my baby arrives. I really hope my husband and I can go. It’s our dream vacation!!!

Annika
    7103 posts
    21 April 2020 at 6:24:01 #932215

Hi all!

@Mwschalbe and @luvmystang: I’m sorry to hear that there’s so much insecurity about your planned trips. It must be truly disappointing if they can’t take place as you’ve been looking forward to them that much! I think it’s a wise approach that the both of you haven’t made any cancellations yet. You’d best wait and see what the situation is like closer to your planned travel dates.

@Amy: we know that Schengen and national visas for tourists will not be issued until at least 15 June 2020. After that, travelers from abroad may be able to visit Switzerland again, but we can’t be sure yet and this date may change. It will also depend on travel restrictions applying to the US (and any traveler’s home country) I guess. We’ve gathered all up-to-date information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland. See #3 for possible travel dates for foreign travelers. Let’s hope that July 21 is on the safe side!

@Snowin81: wonderful that you were able to reschedule your trip to August 1, and congratulations on your pregnancy :-). I understand you’d really like to visit Switzerland before your baby arrives. We’re all keeping our fingers crossed for a quick but safe return of travel options for all those who dream of visiting Switzerland!

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    21 April 2020 at 13:33:28 #932216

Hello,

Congratulations to you that you will have a baby!! What an exciting period of your life! I hope so much for you that your trip will work out in August!! But if not, having your baby will be so precious!

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    21 April 2020 at 13:35:25 #932217

Thanks Annika for all your comments on this thread, including your encouraging words!!

• The thread ‘My heart aches for Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.