My itenerary for 5 days in Switzerland early May

• Shehzad
    Participant
    9 posts
    10 April 2016 at 18:49:12 #808874

Hi there!!!

You guys are doing a fantastic job with this forum, great!!!

Right I have made my travel plans sorted and I wanted to share them with you, so you can give me some tips if my itenerary is do-able and makes sense, and if someone can shout out any nice restaurants where I’ll be staying as I’m vegetarian.

Day 1:- 02nd May Landing at geneva Airport and just visiting lake geneva on a boat trip considering we’re landing mid afternoon.

Day 2:- 03rd May Catching 09:15 train from geneva to Lucerne, and will be doing a trip up Mt Rigi.

Day 3:- Get up early and go up Mt Pilatus from kriens side via cable car/panorama gondola, will have to finish in half a day as I need to catch train at 16:35 to be in St. Moritz

Day 4:- Get on the 09:57 Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt. Once there, also go up the matterhorn on the gornergrat rail.

Day 5:- Get up early catch train from Zermatt to Grindelwald to stay there. Then go up the Junfraujoch -Top of Europe.

Day 6:- I will be catching the 08:49 train and heading back to geneva Airport. As my flight back to england is at 14:15 in the afternoon.

How does that sound. Please advise me if this is do-able and if I’m making the most out of my trip.

My main Attractions were Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus, the Glacier Express and the Jungfraujoch. Which I will all cover in this on fabulous trip of a lifetime.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2016 at 20:42:47 #850593

Nice trip, much traveling, but it is possible.

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 April 2016 at 14:21:47 #850594

Hi Shehzad,

Well, that’s quite an impressive itinerary. As Brahms mentioned it does involve a lot of traveling, but if you really want to see all of these attractions in five days, most of it (but not all, please see below) will work. You’d best check traveling times using the timetable and decide whether they’re doable for you and your travel party. A downside of such a travel scheme is that mountain top visits are very weather dependent. Since you allocate just one day for each mountain top, bad weather may impede your plans. Picking just one or two base towns, like Lucerne and Grindelwald, and leaving out the Glacier Express, may increase your chances of good weather for scenic rides up in the mountains. But it’s all a matter of personal preferences.

Mind that the Glacier Express arrival in Zermatt is a bit too late (18h10) to catch the Gornergrat train. You’ll still be able to board the latest 18h24 train, but you won’t be able to spend more than 20 minutes at the top before you have to catch the last train down. So I’d advise to either skip the Gornergrat, do it on the morning of day 5 (probably skipping the Jungfraujoch in that case) or board the earliest Glacier Express that arrives in Zermatt at 16h10.

Shehzad
    Participant
    9 posts
    11 April 2016 at 16:39:42 #850595

Hi, thanks Annika.

I will definately think about going up the gornergrat on the 5th morning if I can still go up the jungfraujoch though which is my main event really. Plus my booking is reserved for the 09:57 Glacier Express. I don’t know of one that reaches zermatt at 16:10.

Plus could you also give any advice on swisspasses.com if they are reliable or not.

Thanks.

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 April 2016 at 17:29:33 #850596

Hi Shehzad,

Good, sounds like you’re all set! I don’t know the Swisspasses website so I can’t comment on that. You can find the trusted retailers of Swiss Travel Passes on myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. As you live in the UK it makes sense to buy through either http://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/swiss-pass (very good price and free shipping) or http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk (you can print the pass at home if you select “Online Ticket” as the shipping option). It takes a few business days to receive the pass through mail or e-mail.

• The thread ‘My itenerary for 5 days in Switzerland early May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.