My recent visit to Leysin in Vaud, Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 13:25:50 #818069

I recently returned from my visit to Leysin (canton of Vaud) where I reconnected with old friends from my years there at the American College. I had a wonderful time! The village is a little changed from the days I lived there (47 years ago!) but is essentially the same. I stayed at l'Hotel La Tour d'AI, a small, reasonably-priced, old-style hotel with comfortable rooms (many with balconies with mountain views) and a very good breakfast.

One of the best meals I had was a lunch on the terrace at l’Essentiel (Route de la Cite 40) where I enjoyed a great burger and a wonderful “Cherry Soup” dessert. (See photos) The restaurant at the top of the Berneuse – Restaurant Tournant le Kuklos, accessible via cable car – was also very good. Not to mention the spectacular, ever-changing views from the restaurant as it turns.

We took a drive to Gruyeres which is a beautiful little medieval city, where you park outside the town and walk in – there’s no traffic. It’s about a spectacular hour-and-a-quarter drive from Leysin. And plenty of good fondue and raclette!

Finally, the crowning experience of my trip was paragliding from the top of the Berneuse with PanPam Airlines. It’s a tandem flight with a pilot who guides the sail for a 20-25 minute trip from the top to the village. I can’t describe the exhilaration and joy I experienced – and I wasn’t a bit scared. If you even think you might be up to it, I say go for it! You won’t regret it. (You also wind up with a 10 minute video of your flight.)

Thanks to the forum for your help in advance of my trip. I hope to visit again – sooner than 47 years!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2018 at 6:07:12 #894979

Thanks for the report Frederick!

Always appreciated, especially about less visited, smaller towns like Leysin!

I hope you get back soon! 🙂

• The thread ‘My recent visit to Leysin in Vaud, Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.