My Swiss trip itinerary – 6 days in Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 10:18:34 #811629

Hi,

The wait is over .. We (3 families) are about to take off all the way to Switzerland . I have considered all suggestions from this forum and would appreciate a few more

We have booked our stay for all the days in Interlaken

Have got Eurail Pass as well

Day-1 (May 7th)

Paris-Lousanne : TGV lyria (reserved already)

Now to reach Interlaken is it recommendable to catch Golden Pass panoramic train or normal trains to Interlaken is quite enough (for Panoramic View)? Since we will be having luggage and kids along with us, is it recommendable to catch a train to Montreax from Lousanne and take Golden Pass route to reach Interlaken ?Is reservation required for Euail pass holders to catch Golden pass panoramic train?

Day-2 (May 8th)

Glacier Express : Since we are staying in Interlaken is there any other way to take Glacier express as it seems we have to take reservation either from Brig-Andermatt(i believe this is the best part) or vice versa

Is ther any concession for Eurail pass holders?

Can I visit any other places along on this day?Zermatt or any other good spots ?

Day-3 (May 9th)

Jangfrough : We need to see Lauterbrennen,Grinderlwald and Cable car view also. Please advise an iterinery & tickets purchases

Day-4 (May 10th)

Britz-Rothorn Cogwheel train (Is Eurail Pass covered or reservation required?) + Lucerne

Please advice any more places to be added on this day . Is Engelberg advisable and good place to see ?

Day-5 (May 11th)

Road Trip : We will renting an open Car (Beetle Convertible). Is it ok to take that with kids (aged 1.8 years) ?

Where to go for a scenic road trip . Preferrably Village visits, farms river sides , areas with trees and all

Day-6 (May12th)

Need to catch train to Venice from Interlaken OSt at 2PM . Half day inside interlaken in Car.

Which areas to cover ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 13:46:31 #862591

Hi anaz0707,

Day 1: It is a nice trip to take the Golden Pass panoramic train from Montreux to Interlaken. Reservationsare not required for anyone taking the train but you may wish to make reservations at least between Montreux and Zweisimmen as it can be busy and it may allow you to travel together.

Day 2: You don’t have to take the panoramic train – all trains take the same route and non-panoramic trains don’t take reservations. If you want the panoramic Glacier Express you must make a reservation – it is the same price for everyone.

Day 3:Have a look here for details and prices on Jungfraujoch, including how to get there from Interlaken.

Day 4: I think you mean Brienz-Rothorn? Have a look here for details.After this trip, visiting Luzern should more than fill you day.

Day 5/6: One area I think would be great to visit by car from Interlaken is Grimselwelt. I think your child is fine, as long as you have arranged a child seat in advance. For villages, Lauterbrunnen may be nice along with near by Trummelbach falls. Some villages, like Murren and Wengen are car-free so be aware of that.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 17:44:18 #862592

Thanks Luca

While renting a car will they provide that ?

Is Murren worth seeing so as to make change or add up during any of our days ?

Where all would you recommend a mist visit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 6:37:56 #862593

Yes, the company should be able to provide a child seat for the rental car. Be sure to contact them to get it arranged ahead of arrival.

If you are traveling by car I don’t think Murren is a must-see. There are other villages that are also quite nice and scenic and allow cars – its just Murren and Wengen that you may want to avoid with a car.

I think you have some nice areas covered on your trip with Jungfraujoch and possibly the Glacier Express train. You many also want to add a boat cruise either on Lake Luzern or on Lake Thun.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 7:28:25 #862594

Boat trip we are planning either from Lucerne or Interlaken to Brienze.

Unfrotunately I received an info that Brienze-Rothorn wont function untill May 13th . Is there any other similar scenic Cog wheel train trip advisable/must see ?

Could you name those scenic villages to go by car

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 8:07:23 #862595

Perhaps Stanserhorn gondola near Luzern – or as I mentioned earlier Grimselwelt looks great too.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 18:14:47 #862596

Luca , one more clarification required

Is it worth to go in Golden pass route (Lousanne-Montreux-Zweisimmen-Spiez-Interlaken OST) with 4 train changes with all our luggage and kids along ? Is that train ride worth of this hazzles ? please advice if any alternative ? Are we going to be tired or are the views worht enough for this effort ?

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 May 2017 at 8:41:55 #862597

Hi anaz0707,

It’s hard to predict whether or not you’ll be too tired and how your kids will react to this trip. I suggest you read the information at out Golden Pass page and decide for yourself. In any case it’s very scenic. Bringing along your luggage is no problem, and there will be smooth transitions at Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost.

There’s a much faster and easier alternative: Geneva-Bern-Interlaken Ost. It requires only one change in Bern, but it’s less scenic than the Golden Pass route.

Please consult the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble for details on both routes. Enter “Montreux” and “Zweisimmen” as via-stations to obtain information on the Golden Pass connections.

• The thread ‘My Swiss trip itinerary – 6 days in Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.