My Swiss trip – shall I bring my house shoes?

• Kimber
    Participant
    10 posts
    12 April 2023 at 19:28:50 #829554

As I pack my bags for my trip to Switzerland I can’t help but think I should bring a pair of house shoes. I am the type of person who does not wear my shoes/hiking shoes in my house & I can’t help but feel I would be rude if I did not follow this rule while traveling, especially after a long days hike. Am I over thinking this?

Thank you…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2023 at 23:26:53 #953255

I always try and fit in lightweight slippers of some sort – eg airline or posh hotel flip flops for use inside an apartment or hotel room

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    13 April 2023 at 5:41:57 #953256

Hello Kimber,

No, not at all. I would bring your house shoes for sure especially if you are accustomed to this practice.

It is actually quite customary to have ‘house shoes’ here 😉

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 April 2023 at 9:41:51 #953257

Yes, I wear house shoes too, both at home and on holiday. Or anti-slip socks, those are easier to pack 🙂

Kimber
    Participant
    10 posts
    13 April 2023 at 18:53:14 #953258

Thank you to all who have replied, I know when it comes to my rooms I will not wear my hiking boots. I think my biggest concern is when exiting/entering my lodges/ hotels/huts while wearing boots. I think I’ll go ahead and purchase a pair of house slip on shoes to wear as I enter and exit from each establishment.

Thank you…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2023 at 23:33:04 #953259

The situation (fairly obviously) varies depending on accommodation type, for example individual detached chalets and mountain huts would have a shelf or mat inside the porch for wet/muddy boots

Normally I do the following based on accomodation type, and what your outside footwear has been doing before you arrive back at your accommodation:

apartment block: switch out of muddy/wet boots in the entrance hallway or boot / ski room

hotel: carefully wipe outdoor footwear so that it is a clean as possible when walking the corridors to your room OR walk in socks and carry the outdoor footwear

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    14 April 2023 at 12:59:48 #953260

When we stayed at Swiss locales where there were nearby skiing or hiking trails, we noted it was very common for hotels to have shoe mats/trays outside guest rooms for wet and muddy shoes. Having a comfortable, lightweight pair of slippers or shoes to slip on while in the room is a good idea.

• The thread ‘My Swiss trip – shall I bring my house shoes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.