My 5-day Swiss visit late December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2015 at 19:43:21 #808213

Hi,

I wanted to explore switzerland coming week , will arrive at geneva airport monday 3 pm and returning flight by friday 6 pm from same airport, I wanted to utilize this 5 days to travel and visit as much as possible in switzerland. I wanted to take 4 days swiss travel pass if this is fine as I wanted to utilize as max as I can see and enjoy by Friday evening. Could you please suggest the travel routes in exact sequence so that I can cover almost all the best sites and places which are under travel pass and also by evening 5 pm at same Geneva airport to onboard the returning flight. Also suggest for cheap accommodations and in which place to stay nearby stations or bus stops from where we can onboard to lets fun began for that day quickly!

/best regard,Sujata.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 December 2015 at 2:11:10 #847333

Hi Sujata –

You have asked a whole lot of good questions. Thanks for providing exact times of arrival and departure. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to deal with your list of questions at the moment.

But I can add one cautionary note. If you arrive at Cointrin ( Geneva Airport) at 5 PM, you are unlikely to catch a 6 PM flight.. Might be lucky, and it helps if you only have carry-on luggage but I don’t think it is possible, even then, and even if you are traveling to a Schengen-compliant country.

But, I suggest that you check with your airline for the desirable time to arrive for a 6 PM flight.

Here are a few links that may help you organize your plans. I hope you have time to accomplish that planning before next week. You will be traveling at a busy time.

http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel/inswitzerland

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch/

Hope things work out for you. I’ll be spending the next few days over the holidays here in the USA with my family.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 December 2015 at 9:22:34 #847334

Hi,

we will be carrying hand baggage only and lets say arrive back to airport by 4 pm to be safe side.

BR,, Sujata

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 December 2015 at 8:20:23 #847335

Hi Sujata,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I am not sure what exactly you intend to do. “Best sites and places” are in the eyes of the beholder. There are city trips, museums, scenic train rides, boat trips, hiking, skiing, spa resorts, peak viewing points and much more. From your post I got the impression you want to travel a lot to enjoy the views, and thus maximize your usage of the Swiss Travel Pass. If that’s what you want, you could combine a few scenic routes. For example: Glacier Express (day 1), Bernina Express (day 2), Wilhelm Tell route (day 3), Golden Pass (day 4). The below pages are helpful:

Does this get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 December 2015 at 11:37:28 #847336

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the suggestions, could you please tell me, if i want to stay at one place and visit all the places.

so its possible to visit all those places and return back to the same place?

BR, Sujata

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 December 2015 at 9:46:00 #847337

Hi Sujata,

If you stay in one town you can see a lot of one region, or even parts of Switzerland if you’re willing to spend more time on traveling. You can’t see all of Switzerland from one base town in just 5 days. Lucerne is very good for first time visitors. It offers a lot of variety. The first link Slowpoke gave you provides more options. The second link in my previous post helps you to plan.

• The thread ‘My 5-day Swiss visit late December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.