My 7-day trip plan to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2015 at 23:31:11 #808202

Hello Friends,

I have planned a family trip to swittzerland with my husband and 4 year old daughter. Please look at my plan and advice me .

Arrive at Zurich in Evening

Day 1 Depart for Schaffhausen and see Rhine Falls and Zurich city

Day 2 Check out from Zurich and take train to move Interlaken

Day 3 Check in Interlaken and take train to Jungfraujoch and visit Konkordiaplatz and the Aletsch Glacier

Day 4 Take train from Interlaken to Hergiswil and then Hergiswil to Engelberg. Engelberg is the lower part of Mt. Titlis.

Day 5 Have trip to Lucerna and Check in Zermatt

Day 6 visit Zermatt ,matterhorn and schithorn

Day 7 Check out from Zermatt and move to Zurich to catch flight.

Please suggest if it is doable or adjustments are needed.

Thanks

Poonam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 December 2015 at 23:58:23 #847282

Hi Poonam.

Welcome to the forum.

Please tell us when you will be traveling. Schedules change with the seasons.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2015 at 14:09:46 #847283

Hii

Thanks for your reply. My travel dates are 5 Jan 2016 to 11 Jan 2016.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 December 2015 at 14:47:59 #847284

Here’s a start.

I ‘m not where I can easily check timetables, but you can look at the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

<<“Day 1 Depart for Schaffhausen and see Rhine Falls and Zurich city”>>

The Rhine Falls are not so special in the winter. You might choose to make that part optional.

It will not take a whole day to explore the most essential parts of Zürich, even though there are many cultural things which make staying in Zürich for a long stay rewarding.If you like museums, there are some fine ones. You could get to Interlaken that night easily. See note for day 2.

<<“Day 2 Check out from Zurich and take train to move Interlaken”>>

That process (train trip) will take about about 2 hrs, with a train every 30 minutes at xx02 and xx32. Change at Bern.<<“Day 3 Check in Interlaken and take train to Jungfraujoch and visit Konkordiaplatz and the Aletsch Glacier”>>

You can start that on Day 2. This requires some checking, but I recall that Konkordia platz is in the middle of the Aletsch Glacier. If I am correct, that will take either a technically difficult hike with a guide, or (if available) a helicopter flight.

I hope I am wrong.

You could consider Schilthorn if you expand your stay in the region, especiall if you stay south of Interlaken.

Give some thought to staying in Wengen , ( possibly Lauterbrunnen), or Grindelwald, instaed of Interlaken. Interlaken is better for rail connections to the rest of Switzerland, but is not much of a destination for tourism.

<<“Day 4 Take train from Interlaken to Hergiswil and then Hergiswil to Engelberg. Engelberg is the lower part of Mt. Titlis.”>>

Where will you stay? I suggest Luzern, unless you want to be in the ski-village of Engelberg.

<<“Day 5 Have trip to Lucerna and Check in Zermatt. “>>

Better to stay in Luzern. The trip to Zermatt will take between 3 and 4 hours.

<<“Day 6 visit Zermatt ,matterhorn and schithorn”>>

If you mean “Schilthorn”, that is near Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen and Mürren.

<<“Day 7 Check out from Zermatt and move to Zurich to catch flight”>>

What time is your flight. Intra europe or transcontinental?.

<<“Please suggest if it is doable or adjustments are needed”>>

Those are my first thoughts.

You have laid out a very nice trip, and the adjustments will make it better, in my opinion.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2015 at 15:27:32 #847285

Hey..it’s really nice of you for your guidance.

It’s really sad that Rhine fall is not great in winter. we are not much interested in museums,so please suggest what is to view in Zurich.

which one should be best place to stay for my trip of day 2 till day 5..Lucerne, Interlaken or Grindelwald. I think its not easy to change hotels every time so I just chose only 3 place to stay.

do you think it is worth to go zermatt. my return flight is from Zurich at 5 .

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 December 2015 at 19:02:59 #847286

My first thoughts were bsed on a belif that you knew what you wanted to see, since you laid out such a good trip. Thus, I assumed that you were prepared to move from hotel to hotel, even with a 4 year old in tow, and I could really tell from what you wrote.

If you wish to constrain the number of hotels, you probably want to adjust your plans.

One thought is to skip Zermatt, since it is the most disant from Zürich. ou can get plenty of high alpine scenery near Luzern (Titlis) and at Wengen or Grindelwald.

What time of day do you arrive at Zürich airport?…You might want to stay that night in Luzern. 1 hour train ride from the airport.

If there is only one city/region to visit for a first trip to Switzerland, Luzern is usually recommended. Titlis is within easy reach.

On the other hand, I really do enjoy Zürich in the Christmas season…the Bahnhofstrasse is spectacular with lights, and the old town between the Bahnhofstrasse and the river is very nice to walk through. Worth a couple of hours if it fits your schedule. Nice Christmas market in the Zürich main station, too.

On your return, do you fly within Europe, or to another continent? Advance time of arrival at the airport may be different. It could be that you might fit in a small bit of Zürich then, but the lights would not be as niceas when it is dark.

You might look at times to go directly to Luzern, spend a couple or three nights, go to the Jungfrau region, spend a couple or three nights, and go to Zürich airport.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

There are a lot of options since the train system is so flexible.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2015 at 20:46:17 #847287

Yup ,I will think over my plan again and will make new plan to make my trip memorable

we will reach Zurich on 5 Jan at 10 pm and leave from Zurich for Denmark on 11 Jan by evening flight. as we already booked hotel in Zurich for 5 and 6 so we need to stay at Zurich.

After Zurich stay we can think of stay at Lucerne or other place as we haven’t booked that yet. yes zermatt is too far from Zurich so I may skip if I can get good views at nearby places. Now I will make the plan again.. and hope so I enjoy my this trip and do not miss any Switzerland gem.

thank you

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 December 2015 at 21:09:37 #847288

Hi Poona –

Luzern and Zürich are 45 minutes to an hour apart by trains three times per hour. You can tour Luzern while staying in Zürich.

You can’t see all the “gems” of Switzerland unless you stay for many many days, so you’ll need to choose based on your priorities. Too many good things. At least, they are relatively lose together. 😉

Luzern gives you a wide range of options.

Don’t forget that it gets dark early in the winter.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2015 at 0:30:44 #847289

None of the Swiss Christmas markets continue into January. Most finish on 24th Dec or earlier.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 December 2015 at 0:36:27 #847290

<<“None of the Swiss Christmas markets continue into January. Most finish on 24th Dec or earlier.”>>

Maggie-

thanks,

Of course, you are correct.

Any other comments, suggestions, emendations or refinements would be appreciated.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2015 at 8:11:43 #847291

Thank you friends. will add Lucerne in my stay. Yup Switzerland have lots of gem but I have only 5 days so will try to see few gems and make my trip memorable.

your suggestions are always welcome.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 December 2015 at 8:41:38 #847292

Hi Poonam –

<<“we will reach Zurich on 5 Jan at 10 pm and leave from Zurich for Denmarkon 11 Jan by evening flight. as we already booked hotel in Zurich for 5and 6 so we need to stay at Zurich.”>>

So, perhaps some more information about Zürich would be helpful. The following link will take you to a thread which has some discussion about what to see in Zürich. There is also some discussion about Luzern.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/swiss-itinerary-for-december-2015

Have a look.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2015 at 10:03:08 #847293

Thanks for sharing the link.

i will look into that and will modify my plan. once I am done ,I will update on post.

thank you so much for all your help slow poke. Hoping to get your guidance in future also.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2015 at 21:20:02 #847294

Hello slowpoke,

Based on suggestion I did few changes in plan,please have a look and advice.

5 Jan- Zurich airport in night. check in hotel .

6 Jan- Zurich- visit old town and lake Zurich .take boat ride.

7 Jan-in morning move to Lucerna. visit mount Pilates and night stay in Lucerna.

8 Jan-visit mount Titlis and either Grindelwald or Jungfrauch .night stay in Lucerna.

9 Jan visit Schilthorn ,visit revolving restaurant or which is left from day 8 .move towards Zermatt and stay night in Zermatt

10 Jan- visit Matterhorn ,glacier paradise.

11 Jan- check out from zermatt. and move to Zurich to catch evening flight.

this is the plan I made. but have some doubts like should I stay in zermatt or I can visit Matterhorn and come back to Lucerna and than utilize the time to visit Interlake.

and also I am planning to buy Swiss rail pass so hopefully I could save some money in traveling.

do you see any unseen expenses which I should plan in advance.

please have a look on my trip plan and advice.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 December 2015 at 22:10:37 #847295

Hi Poonam –

Here are my first thouights.

I have not done rigorous check of timing against the timetable. I always recommend it. Maybe I’ll have time later. later. If you make the change noted below, I think all of the travel will be reasonable or at least possible.

8 and 9 January –

Too much back and forth between Luzern and the Jungfrau region.

Stay in Grindelwald or somewhere near the Jungfrau or Schilthorn ( Mürren, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen.)

Your plan to visit the Jungfrau region from Luzern, after visiting Titlis is technically possible, but in fact, is not practical. Without checking the time table, I think you arrive quite late in the Jungfrau region. Too much back and forth between Luzern and the Jungfrau region. It would be difficult to have a good visit (maybe any visit) to the Jungfraujoch. ( Watch your spelling – there is no “Jungfrauch”.)

It gets dark early in January. Further, the cableways stop in the late afternoon. The cograil does run late..If you turn around and go back to Luzern, you are going to get back very late. Then, you plan to go right back on the 9th. I don’t understand that.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7121 posts
    24 December 2015 at 9:22:38 #847296

Hello Poonam,

If you take Slowpoke’s suggestions into account you’ll be able to optimize your itinerary. Note that visiting Interlaken itself is not worth your time. It’s the nearby Jungfrau region that’s worth a visit. The town itself not so much (apart from shopping for souvenirs).

As for the Swiss Travel Pass, please see this list for points of sale. If you order in time you’ll be able to get it for the lower online price. After January 1, online prices will most likely go up. For an overview of all passes you can look here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 December 2015 at 22:54:14 #847297

Hi,

Okey..if below change in plan are doable

6 Jan Day 1 Zurich. See old town and lake cruise

7 Jan Day 2 Check in at Lucerna see Mount Pilatus By cable Way

8 Jan Day 3 check in at Grindelwald and visit jungfrauchregion

9 Jan Day 4 check in Zermatt visit Matterhorn

10 Jan- Day 5 stay in Zermatt and check what to see.

11 Jan- Day 6 Check out from Zermatt and move to Zurich.

In this way I will miss Mt titlis and Schilthorn but it seems a relax one. Should I reduce my day at Zermatt and add one more day at Lucerna to visit Titlis or compltely skip Zermatt and adjust the day at Grindelwald. I am planning to buy swiss travel pass .

Thanks

Poonam

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 December 2015 at 3:03:02 #847298

<<“In this way I will miss Mt titlis and Schilthorn but it seems a relax one. Should I reduce my day at Zermatt and add one more day at Lucerna to visit Titlis or compltely skip Zermatt and adjust the day at Grindelwald. I am planning to buy swiss travel pass .”>>

Each person has their own reasons for visiting Switzerland. You have focused your itinerary on high alpine scenery.

If you want more variety, add to Luzern and do not go toTitlis, Explore the town and take a lake boat all the way to or from Flüelen.

The range of things to see and do is much greater in Luzern than in Zermatt.

On the other hand, if you really want t o see high mountain scenery, my opinion is to add time at the Jungfrau region. The variety is possibly greater than at Zermatt, although one could perhaps not agree with my opinion.

Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘My 7-day trip plan to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.