About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum My 2 weeks Switzerland visit in July 2022
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

My 2 weeks Switzerland visit in July 2022

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Jpehrson
Jpehrson
28 posts
Aug 4, 2022 - 8:55 PM

I recently returned from a wonderful two week visit to Switzerland. Our itinerary was 2 nights in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne, 5 nights in Wengen, 2 nights in Zermatt and 3 nights in Geneva (we flew into Zurich and flew back home from Geneva.) First and foremost, train travel is the way to go over there as the trains are always on time, they are clean and it was just very easy to get around on them. Download the SBB app on your phone and you will be blown away by how easy it is to travel by train. We did buy a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass which made it very easy to use the trains and boats. The highlight of our trip was the Jungfrau area where we stayed five nights in Wengen. In hindsight we could have spent the majority of our time there as it is the most beautiful place on earth in my humble opinion. We had 4 1/2 days to explore the area which allowed us to cover a lot but there are SO many hiking trails etc. that you really need 10 days there alone. I am very glad we stayed in Wengen versus Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald as it is car free and about 1500 higher so it was cooler and the views were gorgeous from that vantage point. I am very partial to the mountains so with this being said we should have spent just 1 night in Zurich, 2 nights were good in Lucerne (beautiful town by a huge lake) 10 nights in Wengen, 1 night in Zermatt and 1 night in Geneva. I must say that everyday we were in the Jungfrau region we were constantly pinching ourselves and saying how lucky we were to visit such a beautiful place. Hope this summary helps you in planning a trip there.

Please login to see the attached documents
Anna
Anna
3751 posts
expert &
Aug 5, 2022 - 11:33 AM

Hi Jpehrson,

Fantastic photos! Love the one with the First Cliff Walk.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your experience.

Regards,

Anna

pkerr
pkerr
244 posts
Aug 5, 2022 - 12:33 PM in reply to Jpehrson

I think we followed the same path for hiking and exploring when we went a few years ago. We only were able to stay in Wengen for 3 days and I completely agree with the thought of staying for 10 days. Truly an incredible place.

GREAT pics too.

Did you do any hiking in Zermatt? We found Zermatt almost a fun as Wengen for hiking though your down in the valley so to speak and had to go up to get most anywhere.

But I REALLY liked your photos. Post more PLEASE!!

Jpehrson
Jpehrson
28 posts
Aug 5, 2022 - 2:09 PM in reply to pkerr

Yes we went to Zermatt but the scenery was completely different as it was much drier so we were not as impressed as the Jungfrau area. Unless you are a skier I can't see staying there more than two days. The one picture from the original post was the Matterhorn in the background. I have attached a couple more pictures from Jungfrau.

Mschwalbe
Mschwalbe
55 posts
Aug 5, 2022 - 3:11 PM in reply to Jpehrson

Hello Jpehrson,

I smiled when I read your post! My experience is a bit similar. In 2018 my husband & I, together with one of our daughters who had just finished university, went on a 2 week trip to Switzerland. A bit like you, we spent a few days in beautiful Lucerne, Geneva, Bern, Zurich... as well as 3 days in Mürren. Well, my heart touched heaven when I discovered the Mürren area. I had found paradise on earth!! It was mid June, so hiking was limited due to snow on the trails. But I had gotten a taste of how glorious it would be to go back, and do nothing but hike in that area! Well, in 2019 I went on a wonderful 10 day hiking trip in the Mürren & Lauterbrunnen area, with our other daughter (26 yrs old at the time). We slept in two wonderful huts. (My husband is not a big hiker, but that wasn't going to stop me! ). Imagine, I just came back in late June from my second 12 day hiking trip, this time with my two daughters!!! It was again, an awesome dream trip. Just like in 2019, we slept in 2 different huts. These are memories for life. I encourage you to start planning....!

Take care!

Monica, from Montreal, Québec, Canada

pkerr
pkerr
244 posts
Aug 5, 2022 - 3:40 PM in reply to Jpehrson

Agree with your opinion on Zermatt. I noticed the dryness when we came out of the "big" tunnel. A complete change of topography.

All those pictures you posted... I think I recognize every spot! :-)

The pic you posted of the Valley... where did you take that from? The church? A really GREAT picture!

Jpehrson
Jpehrson
28 posts
Aug 5, 2022 - 4:50 PM in reply to pkerr

That picture was taken a little further down the walkway from the church around 7am. I had to go down further to get a better shot of the valley.

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
261 posts
top member
Aug 5, 2022 - 10:20 PM

Hi Guys!

Great pics! Any chance of some more (I need my Swiss fix). It looks like you had fantastic weather as well which makes for a memorable holiday.

Thanks for posting.

Alan

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
261 posts
top member
Aug 5, 2022 - 10:22 PM in reply to Mschwalbe

Hi Monica.

Thanks for posting, but a quick question, was your hiking trip organized, or did you wing it on your own?

Cheers

Alan

My Doodles
My Doodles
16 posts
Aug 5, 2022 - 10:31 PM in reply to Jpehrson

Thank you for this. My husband and I leave in 6 weeks and I am already packing (any special advice on this?). We will spend 5 nights in Lucerne, 5 nights in Wengen (yeah, yeah) and then last 3 nights in Lausanne. I’m trying to decide on which hiking shoes or my trail runners to take. Any special restaurants? How did you dress at night for restaurants? I was wondering how casual dressing in restaurants are in the cities.

Thanks,

MyDoodles

Jpehrson
Jpehrson
28 posts
Aug 5, 2022 - 10:48 PM in reply to My Doodles

We packed pretty light and washed some of our clothes in the sink and them let them dry outside. Very easy to over pack so this worked perfect for us. I would say trail runner shoes will be fine. The longest hike we did was only two hours so where something that is comfortable. All the trails are pretty well maintained and marked so it's pretty easy. We stayed at the Sunstar Hotel which was right on the main street in Wengen. No special restaurants to mention other than most of them do not open till 6 or 6:30 and everyone was very casually dressed. Did not see any people dressed up. All I can say is get ready to LOSE your mind in Wengen as it the most beautiful place I have visited.

Mschwalbe
Mschwalbe
55 posts
Aug 5, 2022 - 11:53 PM in reply to AlanPrice

Hi Alan,

The trip was not an organized one. I spent endless (happy!) hours over many weeks poring over google trail maps, web sites, hiker blogs, etc. planning the entire itinerary!

Monica

Needtotravel
Needtotravel
4 posts
Aug 6, 2022 - 7:03 AM

We have just returned from 10 days in Switzerland, including 5 nights in Wengen - like previous posts we were absolutely stunned by the beauty of Wengen and now plan to return next year as 5 nights was simply not enough. Restaurants in Wengen were all very casual - if you like laid back food in a really friendly atmosphere with outside dining there is a really nice pizzeria (with other options too) called the Restaurant Di Sina but if you plan to try it you need to book ahead as it was always busy. I did this through a message on their website. We opted to stay in a chalet rather than a hotel and booked through a local company called Wengen Apartments who were brilliant.

We also stayed in Lausanne too - mostly as it was well located to visit CERN in Geneva, Montreux and Chateau Chillon. We weren't blown away by Lausanne itself but the Lausanne-Ouchy area is pretty and good fun. The boat trip from Lausanne to Chateau Chillon was absolutely gorgeous. Make good use of the metro in Lausanne for going up and down to Ouchy - we walk a lot but the city is very steep.

My Doodles
My Doodles
16 posts
Aug 6, 2022 - 1:23 PM in reply to Jpehrson

Thank you so much for the feedback. I can’t wait. Did you by by chance get the regional oberland pass with the Swiss pass?

Charli at MyDoodles

My Doodles
My Doodles
16 posts
Aug 6, 2022 - 1:24 PM in reply to Needtotravel

Thank you for passing on this information. The tip on local metro in Lausanne is great!

Jpehrson
Jpehrson
28 posts
Aug 6, 2022 - 2:21 PM in reply to My Doodles

We ended up buying the Jungfrau Travel Pass for the Jungfrau region. With the Swiss Travel pass you got a discount and it pretty much gets you all around the area however you still have to pay to go to the Top of Europe and Schilthorn (you do get a discount with the Jungfrau Travel Pass) which are both worth going on a clear day.

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
261 posts
top member
Aug 8, 2022 - 5:01 AM in reply to Mschwalbe

Hi Monica,

Thanks for your reply. Which huts did you stay in and do you have any pics?

Cheers

Alan

Mschwalbe
Mschwalbe
55 posts
Aug 8, 2022 - 3:00 PM in reply to AlanPrice

Hi Alan,

I am happy to share with you my hut information! In 2019 I stayed in the Rotstock hut as well as the Lobhorn hut. In 2022 I returned to the Rotstock and also went to the Gspalthorn, on the Kiental valley side. All 3 huts are wonderful! Photos attached. The Rotstock is not recently renovated and has a genuine rustic feel to it! The Lobhorn is a cute little place; not a far hike to get there (probably more crowded since it is easy to get to). The Gspalthorn hut is at a much higher altitude and hiking there is spectacular.

I would be happy to provide you with more information if you wish!

Take care!

Monica

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
261 posts
top member
Aug 8, 2022 - 10:00 PM

Hi Monica

Thanks for posting the pics, they're wonderful!

I assume you had to cross the Sefinenfurgge Pass to get to the Gspalthornhuette. Where did you end your hike?

Alan

pkerr
pkerr
244 posts
Aug 8, 2022 - 10:37 PM

Not being familiar with how Huts work... how do they work? Are they like a hostel? And do they serve food? Need reservations?

Thanks!

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 30% discount
Available until 31 October 2022. Book 6 months ahead.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/swisstravelpass

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022