Napf ridge walk trail help & how best to get there

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 17:21:27 #815993

Greetings!

I am looking for help verifying the logistics of doing the Napf ridge walk trail hike relying on public transportation. From my research, I understand that the trail runs from Luderenalp to Mettlenap. I understand that the 204 bus runs between Mettlenap and Trubschachen a couple of times on Saturday and Sunday. On the other end of the itinerary, there is a another bus, 285 that runs between Langnau and Luderenalp. Thus it looks like one could leave Langnau on bus and get to Luderenalp as early as 8:30 to begin the hike, which is about 4 hrs in length. From Mettlenap, the afternoon departure is around 4 pm or 16:00.

A follow up question I have is how do people do this trail on days other than Saturday and Sunday? (Even with a car, which I don’t plan to have, it seems like you would be stranded on one end or the other.)

Second follow up question: I would love to see a sunset on these vistas. In fact, this is one of the reasons I am not satisfied with my research thus far (because I can’t stay a night in the Napf due to leaving Switzerland on Sunday). Any recommendations on places to stop once one has made the Trubschachen connection to return back to main transportation links?

Final follow up: I am faced with the choice of doing this trip or doing a quick trip to Wengen. I have old family roots in the Emmental and just kind of want to experience it so I am leaning toward doing this trip. Also, Wengen seems expensive and like a gamble weatherwise. I am going at the very beginning of June. I will keep an eye on the weather for both places as it gets closer.

Thank you in advance for any advice/reflections you might share!

jay

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 15:34:04 #885330

Hi Jay,

Yes this is definately a tricky destination to reach. There is the Hotel Napf (http//:www.hotelnapf.c h) you could stop at if you go.

For the limited time Wengen is a much easier choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 5:50:25 #885331

Thanks for sharing the link, Lucas!

Indeed, the Wengen trip seems more straightforward and if the weather is right I am sure I would be amazed by it!

Here are a few links that describe the Saturday/Sunday bus routes: Langnau to Ludernalp and Langnau to Mettlenalp

emmental.ch/en/eventma nager/page/wanderung-hoehenroute-napf/action/offerShow/ Offer/ (the details are in German but Google translate translates the page well).

http://www.rome2rio.com/map/L angnau/L%C3%BCderenalp

http://www.rome2rio.com/map/L angnau/Mettlenalp

Best wishes,

Jaydee

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 15:42:57 #885332

I should probably make it clear that I am inviting any comments on the trails I mentioned here with this post. I realize the the rail forum is a better place to inquire about the transportation part of it. I had a hard time deciding which place to post.

Best wishes,

Jaydee

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 16:16:23 #885333

No worries Jaydee – I’m not sure how much luck you’ll have on finding more details from other members (a rare thing here!) but we’ll keep the thread open of course. fingers crossed.

It isn’t uncommon for buses to not operate year-round on some areas (usually due to snow closing the roads but could be from lack of demand).

• The thread ‘Napf ridge walk trail help & how best to get there’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.