Natural thermal spas in Switzerland in January

• Bunkapass
    Participant
    10 posts
    9 November 2019 at 20:13:35 #824417

Hi. January arrival- we are a couple in our 60s. This is what I’m thinking and would love your input! We have two weeks with a Swiss Travel Pass. Want to stay flexible according to the weather. Avoiding crowds and kids!( leaving the grandkids home!). Feedback on the following itinerary welcome! Tarmina Spa in Bad Ragaz, Walliser Thermals in Leukerbad, Therme Vals, Rigi Kaltbad. Maybe the thermal baths in Gruyeres? Are there any must go spas I’m missing? Also want to go to high mountains so thinking to stay in Lucerne for Pilatus and Titlus as well as get up to Grindelwald from Bern. I appreciate your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 November 2019 at 1:13:22 #924883

<<“Feedback on the following itinerary welcome! “>>

I do not notice an itinerary.

<<“Are there any must go spas I’m missing? “>>

Here are some:

http://www.bognengiadina.ch/e n/bathing-area

http://www.bainsyverdon.ch/en /thermal-baths/pools/

Both are famous.

Not sure what you will visit in Bad Ragaz, but history is great at Altes Bad Pfäffers.

http://www.altes-bad-pfaefers.ch/startseite .html

Short bus ride up theTamna Schlucht from Bad Ragaz

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 10:01:12 #924884

Hello Bunkapass,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

How wonderful to explore the different thermal baths and spas in Switzerland. You will enjoy all of them I’m sure. Some of the spas will even have candles lit near the outdoor warm pools, and some don’t allow children after a certain time in the evening. Thus, you can enjoy a quiet and relaxing atmosphere.

The Gruyère Baths is a good one and I enjoy it each time I go. You can’t go wrong with any of the above spas you listed. Another one that I also like is: Les Bains de Lavey SA

Lucerne will be a great travel base when you plan on going to Pilatus and Titlis. Vitznau is a great place to visit while you are staying in Lucerne. It’s around 25 km apart, and there is a spa worth trying while you are there. The Park Hotel in Vitznau is newly renovated, and I thoroughly enjoyed the spa and the lunch while I was there.

I will attach some links about Lucerne, Pilatus and Titlis for you:

Lucerne:

Pilatus:

Titlis:

Please feel free to write back again if you have any more questions!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 November 2019 at 12:32:02 #924885

Hi Bunkapass –

When in January?

The cableways up to the mountains in the Jungfrau region will be operating all month, mostly for skiers, but also for sightseeing. You’ll have more snow on the ground as January progresses.

Slowpoke

Bunkapass
    Participant
    10 posts
    10 November 2019 at 15:07:42 #924886

Thank you all for your help! Are all the spas generally the same when it comes to what we will need to bring with us so we don’t have to rent anything- I’m thinking bathing suit, rubber slippers, a towel – do we need to bring a robe? Shampoo and lotion and hair comb? We aren’t springing for any of the attached hotels except on Rigi kaltbad

thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 15:34:57 #924887

Hello Bunkapass,

Thanks for your question!

The items you listed are generally what you should bring along. I would also consider bringing a swim cap, and definitely some type of elastic hair tie if you have long hair. I have been to one spa that required a swim cap to be worn while I bathed in the spa. I never used a bathrobe, but that’s me. Your welcome to bring one in case you decide to have other spa treatments.

I hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    10 November 2019 at 16:40:19 #924888

I have been to the Walliser Alpentherme in Leukerbad several times and loved it. The outdoor pool provides beautiful mountain views and a great sunny location. We usually stay a short walk away at the Hotel Waldhaus-Grichting. The hotel provided a pass for three hours at the Alpentherme along with nice robes and towels to take with us. My experience in other “SPA” towns is that robes and towels are usually provided or at least available by request in nearby hotels. I would check with my lodging before packing them. Sounds like my kind of trip. Have a wonderful time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2019 at 12:31:06 #924889

Hello Bunkapass,

I hope you are coming along with your plans.

I have included a link about the Swiss Travel Pass because you mentioned it in your first post. The link has all the details regarding the Swiss Travel Pass. Please feel free to write us if you have any additional questions.

Swiss Travel Pass:

Best regards,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Natural thermal spas in Switzerland in January’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.