Near Martigny on a budget, scenic activities ideas

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2020 at 10:40:48 #824805

Happy new year!!

I have planned a surprise 3 night break for my husbands birthday in February. We are staying near martigny but will be hiring a car. This will be a time to relax in the cabin after a hectic Christmas. However am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what we can do one of the days on a budget. We are not skiers but love the scenery. Any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2020 at 13:26:04 #927414

Hello Abi87uk,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

What a great idea for a birthday gift for your husband. Relaxing in a cabin is wonderful idea to unwind after a hectic Christmas and best of all, to think and be inspired for 2020.

I have some important links about driving in Switzerland that would be good to know:

I have included a link about various activities where you could get ideas from:

I also want to suggest thermalbaths/wellness spas while you are in Switzerland. Although it’s not such a budget friendly activity to enjoy the thermalbaths, it is super relaxing and that in itself is priceless.

Taking some scenic train rides can be a budget friendly activity. If that is something that would interest you, I think getting the Saver Day Pass would be beneficial for that. The sooner you purchase the Saver Day Pass, the better the price is, however the passes are limited and they do sell out. Please read the details for the Saver Day Pass here:

Happy planning!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2020 at 13:59:33 #927415

Wow thank you so much for quick response!! I’ll have a look through your suggestions. Can’t wait but so nervous as he books everything usually! Fingers crossed it goes to plan!

Thanks again x

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2020 at 14:19:51 #927416

Hello Abi87uk,

You’re most welcome! I think you will be excellent at planning this surprise birthday gift; I have confidence in you. I think once you plan this trip, I have a feeling your husband might leave you to plan future trips. Good luck, and write back if you have anymore queries.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 January 2020 at 15:46:04 #927417

Hi Abi67uk –

Not sure these are of interest, or even open for visits on the days when you are there.

But, here’s a link to some Swiss history near Martigny

torpille.ch/en/military-forts-western-switzerland/#visit_of_the_forts

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Redoubt_(Switzerland)

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_Saint-Maurice

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    5 January 2020 at 18:02:09 #927418

Congratulations, Slowpoke, for passing the 7000 mark!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    5 January 2020 at 18:06:57 #927419

As mentioned by Suzanne, there are thermal baths near Martigny. I know two: les Bains de Saillon and Les Bains d’Ovronnaz. Both are nice, my preference goes to Ovronnaz for its mountain location. If you are looking for something relaxing. Oh, then there is also Les Bains de Lavey in the same region. Nice, too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2020 at 18:32:14 #927420

Hello Slowpoke,

Congratulations Slowpoke!! Thanks for taking the time to respond and write comprehensive travel advice on MySwissAlps.

I wish you and your family all the best for 2020!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 January 2020 at 19:16:55 #927421

Hi Snowman –

Thanks.

But, you have to careful with comments like those. When Rockoyster sees that, he’ll think it is a numbers game and will redouble his efforts, by writing posts such as :

<<“Now my post makes no sense because you get to go back and correct yours. How is that fair? 🧐”>>

😉

Slowpoke

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 January 2020 at 7:01:18 #927422

Hi Abi87uk! If you do decide to drive and plan on making additional side trips by public transportation, the Swiss Half Fare Card might be a good solution: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard. Here’s how to calculate which rail pass or ticket option makes mose sense for your itinerary: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2020 at 17:40:40 #927423

Thanks everyone. Really helpful!

• The thread ‘Near Martigny on a budget, scenic activities ideas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.