Need advice for 10 days Switzerland in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2017 at 8:47:12 #812201

Hi all,

I am going to Switzerland for 10 days with a friend in the coming September, arrive early on 14 Sep and leave in the evening on 23 Sep. This is our first time to Switzerland, so we want to be prepare and use our time wisely. So far, we planned:

From 14 – 17 Sep base at Grindelwald, explore Jungfrauhoch, hiking (1 or 2 routes), visit Lauterbrunnen, go visit interlaken and /Brienz if time still allow.

From 18 – 21 Sep base at Zermatt, explore Matterhorn, hiking (1 or 2 routes)

From 22 – 23 Sep trave from Zermatt to Luzern and base there, as time not enough mountain trip, possibly only able to sight-see Luzern.

The hotel I booked for 14-17 Sep in Grindelwald is fixed and not allowed to change, which mean I have to base in Grindelwald for at least 4 days. However for the rest of the trip, the accommodation is not finalize. As there are so many nice places in Jungfrau Region and other region, I am not sure whether we have planned this wisely. Should I shorten the time in Zermatt? Or you have other suggestion and I shall skip Zermatt? How about Rigi and Pilatus, should I spend more time in Luzern instead of Zermatt?

Look forward to receive suggestion and advises. Thank you so much for the help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 10:34:58 #864858

Hi Olivia82 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think if your focus is on visiting mountains then I might take 1 night from Zermatt and add it to Luzern.
    Zermatt is out of your way when going from Grindelwald to Zermatt and back to Luzern (find train schedules here).
    However for many people seeing the Matterhorn is an experience they don’t want to skip (I think it is a nice option as well!).
    When in Zermatt, you can visit Gornergrat and/or Klein Matterhorn(Glacier Paradise for the best views of the Matterhorn. There are also lots of hiking travels around Zermatt so not to worry about that.

It really is a matter of deciding which mountains look more interesting to you – the ones noted above at Zermatt or the ones near Luzern: Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Rigi and Mt. Titlis.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Need advice for 10 days Switzerland in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.