Need advice for best Swiss rail pass for 4 days

Need advice for best Swiss rail pass for 4 days

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
xmakbee
xmakbee
2 posts
Jan 27, 2018 - 1:08 AM

Hi Swiss Alps Experts!

I'm planning to visit CH in March. My itinerary is:

Day 0 - Frankfurt to Zurich

• Arrive at ~7pm
  • Check-in for 2 nights

Day 1 - Zurich <-> Zermatt

Day 2 - Zurich <-> Interlaken

Day 3 - Zurich to Geneva

• Check-out
  • Check-in for 1 night in Geneva
  • Explore Geneva and Lausanne

Day 4 - Geneva to Frankfurt

• Check-out and go back to Frankfurt

Based on this, what rail pass would you recommend? The 3 day Swiss Travel Pass, Half Fare card or shall I just purchase regular tickets? :)

Thanks in advance!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3916 posts
expert
Jan 27, 2018 - 1:23 AM in reply to xmakbee

Hello xmakbee and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Basing yourself in Zurich means you are going to be doing a lot of travelling backwards and forwards. Zurich to Zermatt is at least a 7 hour round trip.

You should use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

Which pass if any depends on your itnerary. You have to do the sums. The timetable will give you ticket prices (the first price you see will assume you have a half-fare card so you should double it to get the full price). Then you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

For such a short trip I would go Frankfurt to Interlaken, Interlaken to Zermatt and Zermatt to Montreux (nicer place to visit than Geneva or Lausanne) but the choice is yours.

What time of the year are you planning to travel?

Last modified on Jan 27, 2018 - 1:25 AM by rockoyster
xmakbee
xmakbee
2 posts
Jan 27, 2018 - 6:00 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks for the info! Zurich as my base for the 1st 3nights is pretty much set :(

I will be travelling in March.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018