Need advice on 8 day trip with 2 kids (5 & 1.5 yr)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 17:39:16 #808673

Hi,

Travelling as 2 adults n 2 kids. Need advice on feasibility and / or any other not to be missed places..(considering the weather as well in September)!

September 23: Arrive in Zurich from singapore (8am); 
Zurich Bahnhofstrasse, Lake Zurich for cruise ride in the evening

September 24: Rhine falls and Schloss Laufen in the morn

September 25 (travel Zurich to St.Moritz): Lake Silvaplana in the evening

September 26: visit Diavolezza (morn) and Muottas muragl (sunset dinner)

September 27: Day trip via Bernina express to Tirano and back to st Moritz

September 28: Glacier express from St. Moritz to Visp to chateau-de-chillion – sunset view; night train from chillion to Zermatt

September 29: Train up Gornergrat to view Matterhorn; Also visit glacier ice palace at Matterhorn

September 30: Travel from Zermatt to Geneva airport

October 1: Flight out to London at 12noon. 

Many thanks for your help and comments!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 17:47:45 #849609

Wanted to add as well my kids are 5.5years old and 1.5yrs old and we will be getting the 8 days Swiss travel pass with the family card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 0:42:11 #849610

Do let me know if this itinerary is just too much of mountains and if I should explore sth else as well?

is there anything distinct abt Diavolezza vs Muottas Muragl?

should I skip Rhine falls for something else as I’m in Zurich only for 1 proper full day..

anything interesting inside the chillion as rIght now per my plan I will arrive too late to enter the castle so we intend to only take photos from outside. Or any good hotels to recommend near the chillion?

i tried to pace out so its not too tiring with 2 kids..

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 March 2016 at 11:17:26 #849611

Hi msrajey,

September is a good time for a visit to Switzerland. The tourist peak will be over by then and weather generally is quite mild (no guarantees though ;-)).

As for your itinerary: it does involve a lot of traveling. You can best check exact traveling times in the timetable. I think you’re the only one who can estimate whether or not it’s too much for your kids, especially the 5 year old. Most of your trips are doable though, except for September 28. The Glacier Express trip takes a full day and you’ll arrive in Zermatt by late afternoon. Traveling further to Montreux and the Chateau du Chillon would be way too long and tiring. If you definitely want to see the castle, you’d better try to insert it on September 30 as it’s on the route Zermatt-Geneva.

On September 26, I’d try to take a bit of a break if I were you. Just visiting Muottas Muragl and wandering about in St. Moritz should be enough. You’ll see the surroundings of Diavolezza during your Bernina Express trip on September 27. On September 29, I’d pick either Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn and not both, in order to slow down a bit.

The 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is definitely the best choice. Purchase options can be found here. I’d advise to get print at home passes (no shipping or handling fees) from http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 12:15:07 #849612

thank you so much! Will follow accordingly!

• The thread ‘Need advice on 8 day trip with 2 kids (5 & 1.5 yr)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.