Best rail pass – 7 nights in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 16:12:08 #812898

My husband and I are planning a 7 night trip through Switzerland in late September and could use some advice on train tickets. The itinerary is Zurich airport to Wengen (2 nights), Wengen to Zermatt (2 nights), Zermatt to Vevey (2 nights), then Vevey to Geneva (1 night) and fly home. I was planning to purchase the 4 day flexi pass but am not sure this is our best bet. The route from Wengen to Zermatt requires 4 (I think) transfers, which I’m not sure I want to do. Would also consider other options. All suggestions are appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 16:46:16 #868116

Hi scrow595 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It sounds like a very nice trip! Although I’m not sure why you are concerned about the transfers from Wengen to Zermatt (at least in reference to the rail pass you choose).

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex that you mention allows for unlimited travel in Switzerland (on almost all routes) and in your case for any 4 days out of 30. The more travel you do on those 4 days the more value you get from that rail pass (the # of transfers therefore don’t matter).

However they are quite expensive.

The Swiss Travel Pass (not the flex so it is for consecutive days) gives a much better value. The 8 day version is only 80chf more than the flex version for 4 days. This means you can have unlimited travel on every day you are in Switzerland (train, bus, boat, some cable cars etc.). You won’t be only using transit on the days you move towns so it can be a much better deal.

For pricing and how to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online click here and to see a map of validity click here.
    Both passes cover the same areas/routes so only the price changes.

I hope that makes some sense to you, let us know if you have further questions!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Best rail pass – 7 nights in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.