Rail pass for 9 days Grindelwald, Zermatt, Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2017 at 15:14:20 #812353

Dear swiss alps experts,

My wife and I will be travelling to Switzerland in August this year and we need your help on which passes to buy as we are travelling to a few places (i.e. Zur – Grindelwald – Zermatt – Lucerne – Zur)

Itinerary

Day 1: Grindelwald.

• Arrival at Zurich airport. Plan is to take a train directly to Grindelwaldin early afternoon.

Day 2 to 4: Grindelwald.

• Plan to visit Jungfraujoch, kleine scheidegg, Stilhorn, Lake Thun

Day 5: Zermatt

• Train from Grindelwald to Zermatt

Day 6: Zermatt

Day 7: Lucerne

• Train from Zermatt to Lucerne in the morning

Day 8: Lucerne

• Plans to visit Mt Rigi, Mt. Pilatus and Chapel Bridge.

Day 9: Zurich

• Train from Lucerne directly to Zurich airport for flight home that departs at 9pm at night.

Options

From my analysis, I have the following options:

Option 1:

• 1 x swiss travel pass 8 days
    • 1 x one way tic from luzern to zurich

Option 2:

• 1 x one way tic from zur to grindelwald
    • 1 x BO pass 4 days
    • 1 x swiss travel pass 4 days
    • 1 x one way tic from luzern to zurich

Summary

I am torn between option 1 and 2. Mainly due to the fact that the Bernese Oberland pass will grant me better discounts during my 4 days visit to the BO as I heard trips to places like Jungfraujoch can be really expensive.

Would you help to provide some advice?

Kind regards,

Stanley

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 3:52:06 #865547

Hi Stanley, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I suspect your Option 1 (Swiss Travel Pass 8 days and a point-to-point ticket from Luzern to Zürich Airport on your last day) would be the best option.

You will definitely need a Swiss Travel Pass due to the extensive travel you will be doing in several different regions, and buying more than one pass is not usually the most economic option. The longer the period of pass you buy, the lower the effective daily cost of the pass is: a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass 2nd class adult is CHF 259 (CHF 64.75 per day); for the 8-day pass it is CHF 376 (CHF 47.00 per day).

However, there is only one way to know for sure, and that is to add up the cost of all trains, buses, boats and cable cars you intend to use during you trip, and compare the cost based on each of your options.

There is a page on this site that can help you with that:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 17:12:11 #865548

Thanks so much Alpenrose. Very very useful info. Appreciate your help!

kind regards,

Stanley

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 9 days Grindelwald, Zermatt, Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.