Need advice to finalize the route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2014 at 8:30:17 #806645

Hello forum members,

Me and hubby are travelling to Switzerland for our vacation getaway. we will be having 15 day Swiss Pass saver. I have made itinerary for our trip. I need some advice from members to finalize the route. We have total of 20 days vacation. ( Among that I want to spend around 14 days in Swiss, 2 days any great places in Italy bordering with Swiss/ Paris , 1-2 days for Luxembourg and last 2-3 days in Frankfurt from where we have our return flight) I mainly need help to decide the route and accordingly book accomodation in next 1-2 days . Also I want to take Bernina express, Golden Panaromic line to Montreux.

14 days with 4 bases (Lucerne, Wengen/Murren, Montreux, St. Moritz)

1. Day 1 Zurich: Will arrive at on 23rd Sept Tuesday in afternoon
    City tour, Niederdorf, Lake Konstanz, Shaufhaussen (St. Gallen, Stein am Rhein), Church of our lady (Fraumunster), Grossmunster

2. Day 3 (25th Sep ) Morning travel to either Lucerne / Bernese Oberland area from Zurich. I would like to know where I should go first during this time of weather. We will be spending 3 nights at both bases. If going from Zurich to Ber Oberland then which train shall I take. From Lucerne to Bernese its the goldenpass line northern leg.

Lucerne and around Lucerne, Titlis, Mount Rigi and Lake lucern (go with one of the Mt. Rigi excursions, Pilatus OR Stanserhorn Cable

Jungfrau Region Wengen, Lauterbann valley, Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, trummelbachfalls, Lake Thun,Spienz, Lake Brienz, Schynige Platte , Kleine scheidegg and Bern as day trip

3. Day 9 (2nd Oct) – After Bernese Oberland and Lucerne I plan to go to Montreux/ vevey ( 1st/ 2nd of Oct) and again have 3 nights there.

Rochers de Naye, Geneva as day trip from Montreux, Vevey, Gstaad 3000 AG a.k.a Glacier 3000

4. Day 12 (5th Oct) FRom Montreux go to St. Moritz and stay for 3-4 days . I want to take Bernina express to Tirano. Bernina express goes from Chur so do I need to come back first to Chur from Montreux?

I need suggestion for couple of nice places to go in Italy and stay for 2 days. If I take my route as Zurich – St. Moritz – Italy – Bernes Oberland – Montreux – Luxembourg then I can visit Italy. otherwise I will go to paris .

5. Day 16th (9th Oct) reach in Luxembourg, Day 17th (Oct. 10th) to Frankfurt, from Oct. 10-Oct 12th (3 days in and around franfurt) 13th Oct morning return flight.

Thanks a lot

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    16 September 2014 at 17:59:08 #841086

Hello Sim K!

Your plans are quite impressive! Basically, the route and bases you’ve selected for Switzerland look fine though. Here are some remarks, which I hope will help you finalize your itinerary:

• Weather is highly unpredictable, so that shouldn’t be decisive in choosing whether you want to stay in Lucerne or the Bernese Oberland first. In terms of your itinerary, it makes more sense to stay a few days in Lucerne first, as that’s closer to Zurich, and then travel onto the Bernese Oberland.
    • The Golden Pass line via the Brünig Pass and Brienz is definitely the most scenic way to get there. You can also use the Golden Pass to travel from the Bernese Oberland to Montreux.
    • In general, the order ZurichLucerneBernese OberlandMontreuxSt. Moritz – Tirano/Italy would make sense. I wouldn’t interrupt your stay in Switzerland for a few days in Italy if I were you (as you suggest with Zurich – St. Moritz – Italy – Bernese Oberland – Montreux), since your Swiss Pass is valid for 15 consecutive days and you wouldn’t profit from it when you’re in Italy. So you can best spend two uninterrupted weeks in Switzerland before moving on to the next country. If you want to end up in Paris or Luxembourg instead of Italy, other options would better. You could end in Montreux for example and travel from Geneva to Paris. The Bernina Express to and from Tirano would still be possible as a day trip from St. Moritz.
    • The Bernina Express runs from Chur to Tirano, but you don’t have to start your trip in Chur. You can get on board in St. Moritz as well.
    • The timetable can be used to plan all trips in detail.
    • In our attraction overview you’ll find many of the day trips and train routes you’ve planned. Each of the pages will provide you with detailed information on how to get there, what to do, how to plan, etcetera.
    • Accommodation can be found and booked here.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2014 at 18:36:01 #841087

Dear Annika,

Thank you for your reply. So after reading I have decided not to do italy. Instead we can plan 2 days in Zermatt if time allowed. Which route from below will make more sense to best utilize 15 days consecutive swiss pass and doing BErnina express and Golden Panaromic line for sure. and after covering Swiss have to go to Lux. Need your remarks for below.

1. Zurich – Lucerne – Bernese Oberland – Montreux – St. Moritz – Tirano – Zermatt – Lux

2. Zurich – Lucerne – St. Moritz – Tirano- Zermatt – Bernese Oberland- Montreux – Lux ( This way I think I will loose doing Golden pass Northern leg Brünig Pass and Brienz as u mentioned above, thats why I kept it 2nd route)

Shall I do paris or Zermatt? If I am already covering Oberland and St. Moritz, do you think Zermatt will offer same scenery and I should then go to Paris? Thanks Much

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 September 2014 at 4:36:18 #841088

Hi Sim K,

Route 1 makes more sense if you want to see the Golden Pass line too. Paris and Zermatt are difficult to compare. If you like cities, museums, etc, then do go to Paris. If you prefer nature and outdoor activities, Zermatt is better. It’s car free and one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland. It’s not the same as the other towns on your list, but of course it’s also mountains you would be experiencing there.

Kind regards,

Arno

• The thread ‘Need advice to finalize the route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.