Advice for scenic Swiss itinerary without hiking

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 19:29:36 #816308

Hello,

I am planning a 5 day trip to Swiss and would like to visit the country side (Lucerne, berner, zermatt, etc) but I do not know if I can visit all. I am only interested in scenic, no hiking this time. I need an advise on itinerary as I do not think I can visit all these places.

I also would like an advise on rail tickets. I am planning to take the train from Paris. Please provide as much information as you can as i have never used the rail system.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. a family of 7 with a 3 year old daughter 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 7:22:17 #886749

Hi Samo,

I’ll give you a few links to get you started:

When you say Berner do you mean the town of Bern or the Bernese Oberland region?

You can book your train tickets to/from Switzerland here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/travel/toswitzer land/train/tickets

You could try 2 nights in Lucerne, followed by 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen (and take a day trip from there to Zermatt).

Have a read through those links and let us know of any more questions you have.

Cheers

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    30 May 2018 at 21:03:24 #886750

There is SO much to see anywhere in Switzerland.

And it’s all good.

I would suggest you focus on a specific area rather than trying to do too much in a short period of time.

Enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 2:41:58 #886751

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 2:42:27 #886752

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 2:45:18 #886753

I meant bernese oberland region. Can I stay in Lucerne and take the train to Oberland region and return to Lucerne the end of the day? I have kids and do not want to keep carrying luggages with me from one hotel to another.

Thanks

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    31 May 2018 at 4:34:26 #886754

Yes!

But Lucerne is on the edge of the validity area of the Bernese Oberland Pass.

Interlaken might be a bit “touristy” but you could consider somewhere like Spiez as a base. More central.

Good idea to have a single base. Then day trips.

Zermatt is outside the validity area but what about Niesen or Stockhorn; both excellent mountain trips and covered by the Bernese Oberland Pass. Schilthorn is wonderful too but extra fare.

Happy travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 6:22:56 #886755

Hi Samo,

You can use the Swiss railways timetable (https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable) to find schedules from Luzern to a town in the Bernese Oberland region and see if that works for you as a day trip.

A more central location for you might be easier to make day trips though. Interlaken would work but I agree with Gunzel – you might like Spiez or Thun more.

• The thread ‘Advice for scenic Swiss itinerary without hiking’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.