Advice for scenic Swiss itinerary without hiking

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Samo
Samo
12 posts
May 29, 2018 - 7:29 PM

Hello,

I am planning a 5 day trip to Swiss and would like to visit the country side (Lucerne, berner, zermatt, etc) but I do not know if I can visit all. I am only interested in scenic, no hiking this time. I need an advise on itinerary as I do not think I can visit all these places.

I also would like an advise on rail tickets. I am planning to take the train from Paris. Please provide as much information as you can as i have never used the rail system.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. a family of 7 with a 3 year old daughter :)

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
May 30, 2018 - 7:22 AM in reply to Samo

Hi Samo,

I'll give you a few links to get you started:

When you say Berner do you mean the town of Bern or the Bernese Oberland region?

You can book your train tickets to/from Switzerland here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/travel/toswitzer land/train/tickets

You could try 2 nights in Lucerne, followed by 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen (and take a day trip from there to Zermatt).

Have a read through those links and let us know of any more questions you have.

Cheers

Gunzel
Gunzel
206 posts
May 30, 2018 - 9:03 PM

There is SO much to see anywhere in Switzerland.

And it's all good.

I would suggest you focus on a specific area rather than trying to do too much in a short period of time.

Enjoy your travels!

Samo
Samo
12 posts
May 31, 2018 - 2:41 AM in reply to Lucas

thanks

Samo
Samo
12 posts
May 31, 2018 - 2:42 AM in reply to Lucas

thanks

Samo
Samo
12 posts
May 31, 2018 - 2:45 AM in reply to Lucas

I meant bernese oberland region. Can I stay in Lucerne and take the train to Oberland region and return to Lucerne the end of the day? I have kids and do not want to keep carrying luggages with me from one hotel to another.

Thanks

Gunzel
Gunzel
206 posts
May 31, 2018 - 4:34 AM in reply to Samo

Yes!

But Lucerne is on the edge of the validity area of the Bernese Oberland Pass.

Interlaken might be a bit "touristy" but you could consider somewhere like Spiez as a base. More central.

Good idea to have a single base. Then day trips.

Zermatt is outside the validity area but what about Niesen or Stockhorn; both excellent mountain trips and covered by the Bernese Oberland Pass. Schilthorn is wonderful too but extra fare.

Happy travels!

Last modified on May 31, 2018 - 6:20 AM by Lucas
Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
May 31, 2018 - 6:22 AM in reply to Samo

Hi Samo,

You can use the Swiss railways timetable (https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable) to find schedules from Luzern to a town in the Bernese Oberland region and see if that works for you as a day trip.

A more central location for you might be easier to make day trips though. Interlaken would work but I agree with Gunzel - you might like Spiez or Thun more.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019