Advice for scenic Swiss itinerary without hiking

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Samo
Samo
12 posts
May 29, 2018 - 7:29 PM

Hello,

I am planning a 5 day trip to Swiss and would like to visit the country side (Lucerne, berner, zermatt, etc) but I do not know if I can visit all. I am only interested in scenic, no hiking this time. I need an advise on itinerary as I do not think I can visit all these places.

I also would like an advise on rail tickets. I am planning to take the train from Paris. Please provide as much information as you can as i have never used the rail system.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. a family of 7 with a 3 year old daughter :)

Lucas
Lucas
9828 posts
expert &
May 30, 2018 - 7:22 AM in reply to Samo

Hi Samo,

I'll give you a few links to get you started:

When you say Berner do you mean the town of Bern or the Bernese Oberland region?

You can book your train tickets to/from Switzerland here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/travel/toswitzer land/train/tickets

You could try 2 nights in Lucerne, followed by 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen (and take a day trip from there to Zermatt).

Have a read through those links and let us know of any more questions you have.

Cheers

Gunzel
Gunzel
154 posts
May 30, 2018 - 9:03 PM

There is SO much to see anywhere in Switzerland.

And it's all good.

I would suggest you focus on a specific area rather than trying to do too much in a short period of time.

Enjoy your travels!

Samo
Samo
12 posts
May 31, 2018 - 2:41 AM in reply to Lucas

thanks

Samo
Samo
12 posts
May 31, 2018 - 2:42 AM in reply to Lucas

thanks

Samo
Samo
12 posts
May 31, 2018 - 2:45 AM in reply to Lucas

I meant bernese oberland region. Can I stay in Lucerne and take the train to Oberland region and return to Lucerne the end of the day? I have kids and do not want to keep carrying luggages with me from one hotel to another.

Thanks

Gunzel
Gunzel
154 posts
May 31, 2018 - 4:34 AM in reply to Samo

Yes!

But Lucerne is on the edge of the validity area of the Bernese Oberland Pass.

Interlaken might be a bit "touristy" but you could consider somewhere like Spiez as a base. More central.

Good idea to have a single base. Then day trips.

Zermatt is outside the validity area but what about Niesen or Stockhorn; both excellent mountain trips and covered by the Bernese Oberland Pass. Schilthorn is wonderful too but extra fare.

Happy travels!

Lucas
Lucas
9828 posts
expert &
May 31, 2018 - 6:22 AM in reply to Samo

Hi Samo,

You can use the Swiss railways timetable (https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable) to find schedules from Luzern to a town in the Bernese Oberland region and see if that works for you as a day trip.

A more central location for you might be easier to make day trips though. Interlaken would work but I agree with Gunzel - you might like Spiez or Thun more.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018