5 day itinerary Lucerne & Jungfraujoch or Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 6:37:39 #815318

Based in Bern, arriving 7th of May

Day1 : Arrive into Zürich around 9:30 am. Take the train to Bern. Rest of the day see Bern and Lausanne/Geneva (advise needed on which is doable)

Day 2: Lucerne, Interlaken and Titlis

Day 3: Mt Pilatus (for the cogwheel train, which starts on the 5th of May)

Day 4: Jungfraujoch Zermatt or Rigi (need advise)

Day 5 Back to Zürich, Rhine falls, self guided Zürich city walk. Depart from Zurich late evening.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the above plan. Please can I also get advise on the train pass that would work best for me. I understand that the Swiss travel pass is a 4 day pass. Which leg would be the most economical for me, if I do one day without the pass.

Thanks,

Monika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 15:32:30 #882223

Hi Monika and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Day 1: I’m not sure I would head of to Lausanne or Geneva – lots to see and do in Bern after arriving – why rush off?

Day 2: Move a visit to Lucerne on Day 3 I think. Why are you heading to Interlaken as well as Titlis?

Day 3: Lucerne city visit and Pilatus is a nice day from Bern.

Day 4: These are all very different trips (Jungfraujoch, Zermatt, or Rigi) and quite different in terms of travel time. What is your preference? Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to find the travel times to each mountain

Day 5: This day is quite doable

If you go for the Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days you should skip day 1 or 5 (depending on what you decide to do on those days.

Have a read through our page on how to choose the best rail pass for more help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 5:56:19 #882224

Many thanks for your re

What do you suggest we do on day 2?. I am happy to skip city sightseeing and would prefer to head for the mountains as soon as I land in Switzerland. So in fact my first plan was to head straight to Titlis from the airport and then go to Bern after that on day 1. Is this Possible?I do want to do Zermatt, but understand that it will take at least 3 hrs to get there from Bern. I am also keen on Jungfraujoch. Would 4 mountains in 5 days be exhausting? I understand it all depends largely on the weather. Which websites should I check for on a daily basis to get a rough idea 1 week before arriving?

Many thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 9:12:02 #882225

Hi Nimonika,

It is possible to head straight to Titlis and then go to Bern. Use the link Lucas gave you to plan your trip. From Bern to Zermatt is 2h30 (fastest way).

The number of mountains you would like to visit is more of a personal choice. All mountains are very different. As you are saying, it also depends on the weather whether it’s worth going up. You’d best check the weather forecast on the evening before you have planned to do a trip. We have a link here: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 5:42:56 #882226

Would I still get good views if the weather is clear and I get to the top at Titlis around 2:00 pm?I was thinking of spending 2 hrs in Lucerne city before heading up to Titlis.

Thanks,

Monika

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 April 2018 at 6:05:56 #882227

Hi Monika,

Every day is going to be different. Swiss weather can be quite changeable.

You can keep an eye on the weather at Titlis using the weather report and webcams.

• The thread ‘5 day itinerary Lucerne & Jungfraujoch or Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.