Itinerary help for Switzerland – early November

• hansama
    Participant
    8 posts
    20 October 2017 at 11:49:12 #813535

So me and my friends are planning to travel Switzerland on early November. Date:2 Nov – 10 Nov

How is the weather on early November? Is it too cold to travel?

The main places we want to visit are Murren(Thrill walk),Interlaken, Grindelwald,Zermatt,Geneva, Zurich and Lavey.

I am bit worried if the cable car to Murren(thrill work) still opens on early Nov?I tried looking for this info online but couldn’t find much

Can someone suggest on what order(citywise) should be best to travel?

I also want advice on the accommodation and length of stay for each places or at least what should I aim for.

I might skip Zurich if the length of time is too short. Is Lavey worth travelling to? Finally, should I land on Geneva airport or Zurich ? which would be best for my trip?

Feel free to give any suggestion.

In advance, thank you for your time and suggestions!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2017 at 16:38:52 #871100

Hi hansama and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I don’t think November is too cold to travel – but I’m Canadian so maybe that helps? 🙂 The average temperature is about 5 degrees in November. The mountains will be quite a bit colder…perhaps -5 or -10 (or as high as 0).

You can find details for the Thrill walk on their website here. The cable car to Schilthorn is closed for maintenance from 13. Nov until 08 December.

The best order of towns to visit depends on the airport you travel into and out of. I would pick the airport with the best prices on flights.

Once you know the city you are flying into you can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your train trips to each town and decide what works best for you.

If your priority for traveling to Switzerland is the mountains and landscapes then I would definitely skip Zurich (and Geneva) just fly in and go straight to Zermatt or Grindelwald.

I can’t say if Lavey is worth traveling to for you – what are you wanting to see and do there?

I’m guessing you are traveling by train? Have a look at the various rail passes for Switzerland here. I would probably lean to the Swiss Travel Pass but be sure to read our page on how to choose the best rail pass as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 October 2017 at 23:26:49 #871101

Hi Hansama-

<<“The main places we want to visit are Murren(Thrill walk),Interlaken, Grindelwald,Zermatt,Geneva, Zurich and Lavey.”>>

You could visit Lavey on the way to Zermatt…

But, why do you want to go there? Is there special attraction?

Do you mean Vevey? If so, why?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2017 at 2:19:15 #871102

Hi hansama,

>> Date:2 Nov – 10 Nov …Murren(Thrill walk),Interlaken, Grindelwald,Zermatt

As Lucas has mentioned, you will be able to get from Mürren to Birg for the Thrill Walk, as the Schilthorn cable car will be operating while you are there.

Here is some additional information about the status of mountain transport during the dates of your visit:

Jungfrau Region

• Train to Jungfraujoch – operates all year
    • Cable car Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp: closed for maintenance 23 Oct to 3 Nov. You can still get to Mürren via cable car from Stechelberg.
    • Funicular Mürren-Allmendhubel – not operating
    • Gondola Grindelwald-First – closed 23 Oct-24 Nov 2017
    • Gondola Grindelwald Grund-Männlichen – closed 23 Oct-15 Dec 2017 (except on weekends from 18 Nov if snow conditions are good)
    • Cable car Wengen-Männlichen – closed 23 Oct-15 Dec 2017 (except on weekends from 18 Nov if snow conditions are good)
    • Train Wilderswil-Schynige Platte – last day of operation 22 Oct. Reopens in May 2018.
    • Funicular Interlaken-Harder Kulm – operating until 26 November.

Zermatt

• Train to Gornergrat – closed 7-8 Nov 2017 due to construction work
    • Cableway to Klein Matterhorn – closed 30 Oct to 10 Nov 2017 due to construction work

Alpenrose

hansama
    Participant
    8 posts
    21 October 2017 at 18:43:18 #871103

thanks a lot!! this is really helpful

hansama
    Participant
    8 posts
    21 October 2017 at 18:49:54 #871104

aha! yeah I think Lavey is not worth travelling to but thank you for your reply, appreciated

hansama
    Participant
    8 posts
    21 October 2017 at 18:50:53 #871105

great information and thank you, so helpful ! ^^

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2017 at 23:42:57 #871106

Hi Hansama

Looking at your itinerary list, I wonder if you might mean “Lavaux” instead of “Lavey”?

http://www.myswissalps.com/la kegeneva

Lavaux, sometimes “La Cote” or “La Cote Lavaux” is the vineyard region at the northern/northeastern part of Lake Geneva. It is more beautiful during harvest season, but is still very beautiful at any time of year – particularly on any sunny day.

The short ride on this train from Vevey is a nice way to look out across the vineyards.

http://www.switzerlandbyrail. com/trains/scenic/lava ux_wine_train_vevey_ch exbrex.htm

Nice hiking in warmer times of year:

http://www.lake-geneva-switzerland.com/lavaux /hiking-in-the-vineyards-of-lavaux/

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Itinerary help for Switzerland – early November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.