Need help deciding of days for Swiss Travel Pass

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    12 March 2018 at 5:28:17 #878338

Whoa – Tassie indeed. Thanks for that info about temperatures in Swiss land. 29 degrees in June – amazing. I thought it would be still cold in June.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 5:28:50 #878339

Impressive list AR.

Does this http://www.buergenstock.ch/en /resort/buergenstock-funicular warrant a place on your list or stoos-muotatal.ch/en/facts-about-the-new-funicular-railway/? Or are we limited to cog-wheels? That Polybahn looks like it might have a cable.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 5:58:40 #878340

It was a warm spell (for nearly a month) while we were there. There were people swimming in Lake Lucerne. We were wandering around in t-shirts on top of Pilatus.

The average maximum temperature for Lucerne in July/August is 24°C so there will be 30s and 20s. With climate change who knows.

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    12 March 2018 at 6:11:44 #878341

That’s good to know. I was wondering if I have to lug a lot of warm clothes but then i am starting my holiday in UK ie London in mid June.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 2:04:47 #878342

Hi Alpenrose

Would we get any discounts on these with STP?

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 3:59:58 #878343

Hi Maggie,

>> Would we get any discounts on these with STP?

Do you mean the Dolderbahn, Seilbahn Rigiblick and UBS Polybahn funicular in Zürich?

Yes, they are all free with the Swiss Travel Pass. But of course, it wouldn’t be worth using the Swiss Travel Pass unless you were also doing a longer day trip from Zürich on the same day.

A 24-hour ZVV pass for 1-2 zones in Zürich (which would cover the cogwheel and funiculars mentioned above) only costs CHF 8.80 (the same as two single fares in those zones).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 4:13:43 #878344

>> Does this http://www.buergenstock.ch/en /resort/buergenstock-funicular warrant a place on your list or stoos-muotatal.ch/en/facts-about-the-new-funicular-railway/? Or are we limited to cog-wheels?

Yes, I was just listing cogwheel railways in the localities Meera had mentioned, as she had indicated an interest in travelling on a cogwheel railway.

As she also seems to be spending time in Zürich, I though it might be worth mentioning the two funiculars (Seilbahn Rigiblick and UBS Polybahn) as well, as they are fun to ride on, don’t take too much time, have nice views at the top, and don’t tend to be mentioned in the usual tourist info about Zürich.

>> That Polybahn looks like it might have a cable.

Yes, and so does the Seilbahn Rigiblick. That is why I referred to them as funiculars, rather than cogwheels 😉 The Dolderbahn, on the other hand, actually is a cogwheel railway.

Alpenrose

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    13 March 2018 at 6:06:34 #878345

Thank you Alpenrose666 for providing more info while responding to Maggie. Much appreciated

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    13 March 2018 at 6:13:39 #878346

Google map shows that the UBS Polybahn is 6 mins walk from Zurich centre. The following link gives routes to Seilbahn Rigiblick (I guess it would depend on where I find accommodation – haven’t booked yet)

moovitapp.com/index/en /public_transit-Seilbahn_Rigiblick-Z%C3%BCrich-stop_33131043-3524

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Need help deciding of days for Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.