Need help planning last 2 days of 8 day Swiss trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 18:47:16 #815093

My husband and I are planning an 8 day trip with our 18 year old son in June. We are flying into Zurich, (June 13th) then plan on taking the train directly to Lucern. If we aren’t too tired, I was thinking about doing the free walking tour (90 min), then possibly a short evening bus tour to a chocolatier (bachmann) then to Utenberg castle and Meggenhorn castle. That trip is also only about 90 min.

The next day we were planning on the Mt Pilatus or Mt Rigi trip, but not both. Also, just some exploring or whatever else we found that interested us.

We have hotel reservations in Wengen for the 15th, so could spend any part of the day in Lucerne, then head to Wengen, or go first thing in the a.m. We are trying to be a bit flexible in case we find something else we want to do in/around Lucerne.

We are planning on taking the golden pass line to Interlaken, then heading up to Wengen.

Again, we are trying to be flexible, so depending on weather, may spend some time that day in interlaken or around Lake Bienz before Wengen.

We have no definitive plans for our time in Wengen, but planned on spending 3 days there. Activities include a trip to Grimelwald/Mt First with the toboggan ride/ trotti bike or zip line, doing the cliff walk trail, and then possibly walking to lauterbrunnen to see the falls.. I haven’t researched times yet, but also read about a nice walk to see Trummelbach, Reichenback and Giessbach falls as well as Aareschulcht gorge.

I have some asthma issues so don’t want to hike UP anything too steep, but have no problem walking down. Other possibilities I have read about in the area are Gimmsel pass and ice glacier (museum?).

If anyone has other suggestions please feel free to make recommendations.

My actual question is what to do after that. (starting with the 18th)

We are not planning on trying to head toward Montreux/Geneva since we are leaving out of Zurich and need to head back that way. I was thinking of starting out early and heading to Bern…spending a few hours and having lunch there, then taking a train toward Zurich through the northern part of Switzerland, and maybe trying to hit Stein am Rhein as another short walk through and maybe dinner, then heading to Zurich. We would like to do a day trip to Rhine falls or Lichtenstein, but that is as much planning as we have done.

Is my day of Bern/train/Stein/Zurich too much? Any other routes anyone would suggest?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 April 2018 at 23:16:18 #880659

Hello drsjw and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Stein am Rhein is probably best combine with Rhein Falls trip. Rhine “cruise” Stein to Konstanz is very pleasant.

Bern and Zurich city tours probably a reasonable day. Maybe train to Uetliberg (http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/uetliberg-felsenegg)?

• The thread ‘Need help planning last 2 days of 8 day Swiss trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.