Switzerland and Italy – rail pass help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 17:07:41 #811426

Hello Swiss experts.

First of all thank you for creating a wonderful site. I’m travelling from San Diego,two adults/2 Kids (7&14).I reach Zurich on June 24 and fly out of Zurich on July 14th.(tickets are fixed). I need help planning my 20 day vacation. In addition to Switzerland I wanted to also go to Venice and Milan. As i was looking at the map I wanted make a counter clockwise loop starting from Zurich, hit few places in Switzerland go to Milan then Venice and return to Zurich for home.(maybe thrown in Munich if possible?)

Question 1; How many days do i spend in Switzerland? I’m thinking 8 days? My focus is going to be Alps i need help with selecting Base towns( Interlaken,Zemerwatt, Lucerence etc).Intention is to do day trips into mountains and come base to base town to relax.. With family my pace is slow not hectic. I’m also looking for literary in Switzerland from which i can easily transition into Italy. If you could suggest an itinerary that would be great. Should i take Bernina express to italy?

Question 2 :I read all about Swiss Rail pass /family card and understand its the best thing for me but should i rent a car once my the Swiss portion of my trip is over after 8 days. can I rent a car in Italy and return it at Zurich airport?

Thanks

SanDiegan.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2017 at 6:36:11 #861655

Hi SanDiego and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We don’t build itineraries here, for help with that you can read about trip planning here.

If you want to focus on the Alps while you are here I would base yourself in Luzern, Interlaken and or Montreux – that will give you a nice cross section of Switzerland – be sure to read through the ‘What to do’ tabs on each page. These towns will also offer easier access to many popular natural sites and scenic train trips in Switzerland like the Golden Pass.

The Bernina Express offers a great option to enter/depart Italy on your way Venice. You will still need to book reservations for the Bernina Express train but your Swiss Travel Pass will cover the ticket cost.

The Swiss Travel Pass combined with the Swiss Family Card is perfect for your needs. I would continue using trains in Italy as well. You may be able to return the car but in Zurich but I doubt the hassle and costs would be worth it. If you choose to train in Italy you may be interested in the Eurail Select Pass for Italy as well.

I hope that helps get you started. Once you read through our information pages above, please feel free to post a rough itinerary and we can give you feedback if you wish.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 16:11:24 #861656

My itinerary

I arrive in Zurich at 15:45 on Saturday : Intend to be at my hotel in Luzern by 7:30PM

6/25 to 6/27 be in Luzern, travel on 6/27 evening to InterLaken hotel

6/28 to 7/1 in interlaken , tavel 7/1 morning to zermatt.

Stay in zermatt till 7/5 travel to Milano on 7/5

travel to Venice on 7/8, travel back to Zurich on 7/12

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 April 2017 at 22:24:19 #861657

Hi San diegan-

That Itinerary would work.

And, it is a really good idea to sat in- not-too-many different pakces.

Zermatt and the Jungfrau region are both high Alpine regions. If that is what you want, go for it!

I’m not clear on whether you will use Interlaken as a base for rail travel outside the Jungfrau Region, or not. If you intend to spend those days almost entirely near the Jungfrau, then, I’d stay near the Jungfrau. Interlaken is further away than necessary and less of an Alpine experience than the villages noted below. Interlaken is a great travel hub, but has little charm and is not a good place to experience the best of the alpine region. Villages near the Jungfrau are a better choice for that.

I’d stay in Wengen, Mürrren, Grindelwald, or Lauterbrunnen, as long as I did not plan frequent (such as almost daily) travel outside the region.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Switzerland and Italy – rail pass help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.