Need help to choose right Swiss rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2017 at 8:55:54 #811255

Dear Forum

We are planning trip from Paris arriving to Geneva frpm14th June to 16th June ( 3 full days)

4 members -Myself & My Spouse ( holding France Residency card ) with my Parents ( Tourist Visa from India)

I have already booked flights & accomodation for my travel to Geneva. Now I would need help on choosing right option of railpass.

I was looking at option of Swiss Rail pass for 216 CHF. Which I covers almost everything. However, I feel it is expensive ( because I will not use much of Musuem visit or Cable cars )

We would like to travel as much as we can for 3 days using trains, boat. I saw Daily passes – 9’o clock pass which is 58 CHF and also read that All 4 members should hold Half fare card. ( If we buy and use Half fare card for 120 CHF , The rates of 9’o clock can be bought at 29 CHF ? )

Or Can anyone help to choose right option ,

Do we any promotion for the rail passes if book.online?

If we book in advance, Do we get advantage of time value or The Passes rates are static ?

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2017 at 9:19:29 #860911

Hi paramountram and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Have a look at our page on “How to choose the best rail pass” to help you. You may find that if the costs of the routes are close to the Swiss Travel Pass it may be worth the extra cost just so you aren’t constantly waiting in lines to buy tickets for every train or boat.

The Swiss Half Fare Card, once bought, does entitle you to 1/2 price train tickets. Again you will need to do the math to see if the total costs work in your favour.

If you do indeed plan on “traveling as much as you can in 3 days” I would very much lean towards buying a Swiss Travel Pass. There are sometimes online promotions for rail passes but generally they remain the same (less exchange rate fluctuations). We will list any promotions for the Swiss Travel Pass on the page I linked above when they come up. I would suggest signing up for our newsletter to get the lasted details.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2017 at 9:47:51 #860912

Many Thanks Lucas for your response on Sunday 👍.

I see there is different of 36 CHF between both options

1. Swiss pass – 216*4 = 864 CHF Vs 2. Half fare card with daily 9’o clock passes – (120 *4) + (29*3*4 )= 828 CHF.

But I see there are lot of advantages when I hold Swiss pass . I will take this.

Thanks Again. Much Appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2017 at 15:32:51 #860913

Yes exactly! I think that is the correct choice.

You can find the buying options online here – and print at home so you can just jump on a train and go when you arrive (and have an electronic back up just in case).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Need help to choose right Swiss rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.