10 day trip Lucerne, Engadine, Zermatt, Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 0:31:16 #821104

Hi there

I have been planning our 10 day trip now for several weeks and after reading many interesting suggestions and itineraries I have become more confused! I would like to avoid backtracking if possible, but am finding that difficult to do with the itinerary I have compiled so would be grateful of any suggestions as am very open to changing it if there is a better way of doing it. We are in Switzerland between the 6th May until the 15th May, 2019.

Day 1. Arrive Zurich from a very long flight, so will just have a look around Zurich on the first day.

Day2 and Day 3 Have booked accomodation in Luzern with the intention of looking around the city, maybe a boat ride and a day trip to Interlaken.

Day 4. I haven’t booked anything as yet, but was thinking of taking the boat to Fluelen and then rain to Lugano on Gotthard Express and sleep in Lugano.

Day 5. Train to Upper Engadine and sleep in Pontresina.

Day 6. Stay in the Pontresina region, possibly visit St Moritz.

Day. 7 Train to Zermatt on local train.

Day 8. Stay in Zermatt and go up the Matterhorn etc or go to Lausanne, depending on the weather.

Day 9. Head to Montreaux, take trip into Geneva.

Day 10. Take a train from Montreaux to Milan.

We would like to experience part of the Bernina Express route (not necessarily on the Bernina Express though). We need to leave Switzerland by Day 10 for Milan, but as I said would like suggestions on a better route as we seem to be backtracking. I did want to see Geneva if possible, but this might not be a practical way to go. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated. As we have only 3 nights booked at this stage we would probably like to have another couple of nights booked before we go to be on the safe side.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2019 at 1:04:12 #909923

Hi Christine,

That’s looks fine. I don’t see too much backtracking. Don’t go to Lausanne as a day trip from Zermatt if you are going to Montreux the next day anyway. You can easily visit Lausanne and Geneva from Montreux

From Lugano you can take the Bernina Express bus to Tirano and train to Pontresina to experience part of the Bernina Express route. Or you can take the Palm Express bus Lugano to St Moritz. You will cover the northern part of the Bernina Express route when you follow the Glacier Express route anyway.

You can get a direct EuroCity train from Montreux to Milan so it would be quite fast.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 2:17:52 #909924

Thanks again for your help. I was probably overthinking it! Does the Swiss Travel pass cover the Bernina Express bus?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2019 at 2:53:31 #909925

Yes, and the Palm Express Bus as well. Reservations required though.

As an afterthought can I suggest you go direct from the airport to Luzern. It is an hours train ride (pick the train that doesn’t need a change at Zurich) and will save you having yet another hotel swap.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 8:51:00 #909926

Hi Rockoyster

Yes, that had entered my mind, so I think I will see if I can change my bookings without having to pay! Thanks again.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 April 2019 at 10:52:20 #909927

Hi Christine. You can check the Swiss Travel Pass validity using the map and the list of attractions at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity. For your train to Milan, please refer to myswissalps.com/traint ickets/italy.

I think most of your itinerary looks fine. I too would advise against visiting Lausanne from Zermatt: it’s a pretty long journey. Did you use the timetable (myswissalps.com/timeta ble) to find traveling times? Also, I’m not sure about a day trip to Geneva from Montreux on day 9. If you want to explore Geneva, than definitely do so, it’s an interesting city (myswissalps.com/geneva). Just note that there are other sightseeing options much closer to Montreux as well: myswissalps.com/montre ux/activities.

As for day 7: I notice you’ll be traveling to Zermatt using normal trains. That’s perfectly fine of course. Your journey will include a few changes of trains in that case, and the direct Glacier Express would be a more comfortable option in my opinion: no changes are required, you’ll enjoy comfortable seats and you’ll receive interesting information about the route and its history. Please refer to myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress. It does require you to pay for additional reservations though on top of your Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress/tickets They’re worth it in my opinion, but that’s different to each traveler.

Since you’re still looking for hotels, our recommendations below may be of interest:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2019 at 1:58:39 #909928

Thanks very much for the information. In your opinion would it be better just to stay in Geneva and give Montreux a miss?? And then get the train to Milan from there?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 April 2019 at 3:00:21 #909929

I think Montreux is a much more appealing place to stay but that’s a personal preference. You join the Geneva to Milan EuroCity at Monteux.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2019 at 3:10:13 #909930

Thanks again. Yes, might give Geneva a miss and stay at Monteux and get the train to Milan from there.

• The thread ‘10 day trip Lucerne, Engadine, Zermatt, Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.