Need help with Gotthard Panorama seat reservations

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2017 at 7:51:55 #863774

Hi Vikram,

Good to hear you contacted them too! The Gotthard Panorama Express is new as of 2017. Perhaps they will make changes in the coming years. The best thing to do here at MySwissAlps is to post a trip report about your trip to Switzerland, including the Gotthard Panorama Express. Then all your experiences are in one place and easy to find for others.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 11:20:26 #863775

Hy,

There is another option to go from Luzern to Locarno with Swiss Travel Pass ? I don’t want to pay extra for reservation for Gotthard Panorama Express.

Thanks.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2017 at 11:32:12 #863776

Hi Pisicaana,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Sure, there are regular trains on the same route as well. All free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 15:29:58 #863777

Vikram – Probably because they’re so hard to book! I’ve had no problem with the other trains. And it’s SO expensive! We’re going to do the tunnel instead. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and experience!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 8:56:24 #863778

>> And it’s SO expensive! We’re going to do the tunnel instead.

Why not travel along the Gotthard Panorama Express route on normal trains that don’t require reservations? The cost is the same as going through the Gotthard-Basistunnel, and you don’t miss out on the scenery. You can buy a ticket online on the SBB site, or get it at the station in Luzern on the day of travel.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:09:03 #863779

Hi All,

I am going to travel Swiss for a month from Jun4 to July 4. So I am going to buy STP for 15 days two times.

After I read several messages about Panoramic Trains, I am getting confused. As I have learned online, I can take Panoramic Trains with Swiss Travel Pass without paying an extra charge, but I need to make a reservation for my seat.

Please correct me if I have a wrong information.

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:13:47 #863780

Yes, you are correct.

Everyone must make a seat reservation (at an extra cost) for the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and Gotthard Panorama Express. Click on the ‘packages’ tab on each link for details on making seat reservations on those trains.

The Golden Pass panoramic train does not require reservations but it is a good idea in the summer to ensure you have a seat – especially between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:19:53 #863781

Panoramic trains which fare can be covered with are Golden Pass Line , Bernina Express, Glacier Express, Gotthard Panorama Express, Voralpen Express.

All of those trains are free with Swiss Travel Pass.

Am I correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:23:26 #863782

Yes, the train fare is free with the Swiss Travel Pass but reservations are extra (and mandatory) on the trains I mentioned above.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:25:10 #863783

Hi Lucas,

Do I pay for making reservation?

Then What does it mean Panoramic Trains are free with STP if I have to pay for seat reservation?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:33:04 #863784

Yes, you must pay for the reservation – you can do this on the train links from my previous post.

In Europe you must always pay for the train fare (to be allowed on the train). You can then pay extra to reserve a specific seat. This is useful on long train rides and to ensure you don’t have to stand in case the train is very busy.

In Switzerland reservations are extremely uncommon and not needed 98% off the time on regional trains. But they are mandatory on the panoramic trains here (I think they don’t want people standing on these trains and blocking views etc (these trains are more about the experience then just getting to another town/village).

So the Swiss Travel Pass covers the train fare but not the reservation fare on these trains. In all cases you can travel by regional trains (non-panoramic) for free with the Swiss Travel Pass (and on the same route as the panoramic train) and not pay for a reservation if you want to avoid the cost.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:33:49 #863785

Do people stand in normal trains when there is no available seat?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:39:05 #863786

Yes, but it isn’t too common in Switzerland and you usually can’t reserve seats on regular Swiss trains either. The longest I’ve had to stand in Switzerland is 20 minutes before the train stopped and someone got off and I took their seat – and that was once I think in the last year.

I only reserve on long international trains where I don’t want to risk standing for 5 or 10 hours.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:50:45 #863787

Thanks! Lucas,

It seems that I must pay for seat reservation every time when I break down the route to stay one or two nights in the middle of Panoramic train routes.

Is it still worthy to buy STP for 15 days two times for my one month trip?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 12:47:13 #863788

Hyanggy88 How would I indicate I want that train route rather than the tunnel?

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 May 2017 at 13:04:48 #863789

If you enter Göschenen as the via-station in the timetable you’ll get the scenic route (myswissalps.com/gottha rdpanoramaexpress/gett ingthere). Price wise there is no difference between the scenic route and the new long tunnel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 16:11:38 #863790

Yes, you do need to pay for reservations for each train you board – most people do not get on and off these panoramic trains though.

I still think it is worth getting the two 15 day Swiss Travel Passes regardless of the number of reservations you make on during your stay (you still save on train fares). This is assuming you plan to make good use of the trains and boats etc on all 30 days.

If not, you could buy a Swiss Travel Pass Flex pass for 15 days (for use on your 15 most expensive travel days and use a Swiss Half Fare Card to get 50% off other trips you make. This requires you to do some math to see if it is worth it – we have an excel sheet here to help if you choose to!

In the end, if it is in your budget and you are traveling daily, then your original plan is still a good one.

Lucas

ProfRob
    Participant
    12 posts
    26 May 2017 at 21:01:53 #863791

I also think there’s a problem with the booking site for the GP. I went through the reservation process, paid with a c/c, but no confirmation was received.

I waited a day and checked with my c/c company, but the reservation didn’t go through despite all the steps being followed.

So now I’m going from Berne to Bellinzona via the Glacier Express from Zermatt instead of the Gotthard Panorama!

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 May 2017 at 13:17:11 #863792

Hi ProfRob,

Where did you try to buy it? As far as I know it should work fine through the websites listed here, particularly http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains.

ProfRob
    Participant
    12 posts
    27 May 2017 at 13:35:44 #863793

Through the CFF/SBB website. Chose my seats, paid and then nothing. After a day, I sent an email and received a reply from CFF/SBB customer service saying it didn’t go through. I wonder if this is a common occurrence.

I did use HappyRail for a reservation on the Golden Pass line which went through. Thanks for the great forum!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • The thread ‘Need help with Gotthard Panorama seat reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.