Swiss Travel Pass &/or Jungfrau Pass? 16 day trip

• Schnacky
    Participant
    16 posts
    4 June 2017 at 2:28:32 #812113

Hello,

My husband and I are traveling to Switzerland September 20 – October 5th. Our bases are: Wengen from September 20-27th, Montreux from September 27th – October 1st and Lucern from October 1 – October 5th. Our itnerneray is as follows…

• 9.20.17 – Arrive in Zurich then to Wengen
    • 9.21.17 – Wengen – Männlichen/Kleine Scheidegg – The V Cableway
    • 9.22.17 – Wengen – Jungfraujoch, Ice Palace, Aletsch Glacier, Flying Fox, Snow Park
    • 9.23.17 – Wengen – Trift Bridge
    • 9.24.17 – Wengen – Schilthorn/Bond World –
    • 9.25.17 – Wengen – Shark Fin Mt. via Stechelberg/Gimmelwald
    • 9.26.17 – Wengen – Wilderswil – Schynige Platte or Murren/Allmendhubel Funicular to North Face Trail
    • 9.27.17 – Wengen – Montreux – Chateau Chillon
    • 9.28.17 – Montreux – Chocolate Train
    • 9.29.17 – Montreux – Les Diablerets/Glacier 3000, Peak Walk Tissot
    • 9.30.17 – Montreux – Zermatt – Matterhorn, Gornerschlucht, Gletschergarten Dessen, Glacier Trail, Museum
    • 10.1.17 – Montreux – Lucern via G.P.S. Panoramic
    • 10.2.17 – Lucern – Engelberg – Mt. Titlis – Cliff Walk, Titlis Glacier, Ice Cave, Ice Flyer Chair Lift, Glacier Park and Outventure Park
    • 10.3.17 – Lucern – Stans/Stanserhorn or Klewenalp
    • 10.4.17 – Lucern – Mt. Pilatus via G.R.T. (and Seil Park)
    • 10.5.17 – Lucern – Zurich – Depart

My questions are: I believe that buying the Swiss Travel Pass is my best option, however should I also purchase the Tell-Pass Summer and the Jungfraubahnen Pass? My mind is all boggled up trying to figure out from reading different posts and the descriptions of each pass. Thank you in advance for your help!

🙂 Georgia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 8:09:28 #864442

Hi Georgia,

Yes, the rail pass options can be tricky! The most fool proof method is to use our web page on How to Choose the best rail pass – use the excel sheet and do the math to compare your options.

1. Looking at your itinerary, the simplest option may be to buy a 15 Swiss Travel Pass and basically be done with it. 🙂 it will cover 15 out of your 16 days (buy a point to point ticket on your last day from Luzern to Zurich – it will be quite cheap.
    2. Another option is to buy a Jungfrau Travel Pass for your initial stay in Wengen which can be bought for as long as 6 days. Then buy an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass for your last 8 days covering Montreux, Zermatt and Luzern trips.
      This option leaves 2 days open where you will need point to point tickets (last 2 days or first 2 days).
    3. I don’t think I would consider the Tell Pass – Summer, but you could buy all 3 passes to cover each base area you are in. There is a Riviera Pass you can get from your hotel in Montreux that covers local transport but not everything you want to do/see in the area so a Swiss Travel Pass for 3 or 4 days would be needed I think.

I’d look at option one for simplicity sake :). Also, you can have the Swiss Travel Pass emailed to you when you buy it online (link above) and then print at home. This way you land in Zurich with your pass and can just hop on the first train you find – no need to line up at ticket office etc. The Jungfrau Travel Pass will be emailed to you as a voucher and then you exchange at the rail office at Zurich airport (not too hard either I suppose!).

I hope that helps!
    Lucas

Lucas

Schnacky
    Participant
    16 posts
    7 June 2017 at 23:14:37 #864443

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it. I will go check out the web page and use the spread sheet. I am sure the STP is my best option as well as what you said, simplicity! Thank you again. I will go do my research again, one more time. 🙂

Kindly,

Georgia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 2:56:28 #864444

>> 9.21.17 – Wengen – Männlichen/Kleine Scheidegg – The V Cableway

Hi Georgia,

I see you still have the V-Cableway in your itinerary. As I mentioned in my response to your post of 18 April, the V-Cableway has not been built yet 🙂

Alpenrose

Schnacky
    Participant
    16 posts
    17 June 2017 at 19:21:19 #864445

Ok thank you! A article that I read said that it was expected to be completed in 2017 and obviously it is not. I’m glad you let me know! 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 June 2017 at 23:57:57 #864446

Hi Schnacky,

Based on my recent experience with the Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure) I would say just go for a 15 day STP as Lucas suggests.

The convenience factor alone is worth the price. Life is too short to spend buried in spreadsheets! 😉

Happy travels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2017 at 0:14:22 #864447

>> A article that I read said that it was expected to be completed in 2017 and obviously it is not.

It’s been pushed out until at least 2018-19 from what I understand.

Alpenrose

Schnacky
    Participant
    16 posts
    18 June 2017 at 16:45:51 #864448

You are so right! Thank you! That’s just what I am going to do! 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 June 2017 at 17:06:43 #864449

Hi Georgia,

You’ll find purchase options here and a discussion about the same subject here. Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 23:03:02 #864450

Question for lucas…..

First of all Thankyou for all you do here to advise travellers..

We will be 2 adults and one child.travel from florida.

Travel from zurich to lucern….2 day.

Want to do boat trip to my rigi….

STP included?

Lucern to wengen …..4 days.

Hang out and hike…

Jungfrau…With the STP is the jungfrau transportation all included?

Waterfalls tour…

wengen to zurich 1 day then depart.

1 full day in zurich… airpot in morning.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 4:41:22 #864451

Hi kfred, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

This topic is for Schnacky ‘s travel plans. Please start a new topic for your plans 🙂

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 11:35:38 #864452

Hi Kfred,

Yes, please start a new thread on the miscellaneous forum and myself and other members will be happy to help you!

I’m not clear on your questions other than about if some places are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Can you clarify if you have other questions about your itinerary when you start the new thread? For more details on what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass click here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass &/or Jungfrau Pass? 16 day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.