Itinerary help for a 6 days Swiss July trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 20:17:02 #814089

Hi,

I will take train from Paris to Switzerland around noon on July 10, and depart from zurich on July 17 AM by air. I need some suggestion to optimize my route in Switzerland.

My current plan is:

July 10: TGV arrival Geneva @12:26, tour Geneva lake for 2 hour; take train Geneva->Brig, spend the night at Brig;

July 11: train Brig->Chur. Stay at Chur for the night. Here comes my big question: is this a good scenic route and worth the time to come to Brig and Chur just for the train ride?

JUly 12: Chur->lucerne, stay 2 nights

July 14: lucerne->interlaker, stay 2 nights

July 16 PM: interlaker->zurich and stay at zurich airport hotel

July 17 AM: take off

Your suggestion is much appreciated!

Phil

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 January 2018 at 21:25:07 #874697

Hi Phil and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

For such a short stay I would recommend heading direct to Montreux for 1 night.

Then Golden Pass Line to Jungfrau Region for 3 nights. Wengen is a favourite.

Then Lucerne for 3 nights. Then direct to Zurich Airport from there. Depends how early your flight is.

Brig to Chur to Lucerne is a long way round. If it was winter I would say maybe worth it but not so much in summer.

Another alternative would be to substitute Zermatt for Montreux.

Others will have different views but that’s the nature of travel. Choices are very personal depending on what appeals most to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 8:30:32 #874698

Hi Phil,

The Brig to Chur trip is the Glacier Express route (most of it, it starts in Zermatt) and it is a famous train trip. If that sounds like something you’d enjoy I would go for it.

Perhaps head straight to Zermatt from Geneva to enjoy the town and the Matterhorn and then head up to Chur with the Glacier Express? It’ll be a bit of a train trip to get back to Interlaken and then Luzern but not too bad – use the timetable to plan all your trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 15:23:12 #874699

Thanks Lucas!

That did address my concern. I will drop Brig and Chur from my route.

Zermatt seems far from Geneva as well, how do you compare it with Montreux for my situation?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 8:56:52 #874700

So you are debating on staying at Montreux or Zermatt? Along with Lucerne and Interlaken?

They are very different towns if that is what you mean. Zermatt is a ski resort / hiking town with the Matterhorn as its centerpiece. Montreux is a french-speaking town with its focus on Lake Geneva and nearby vineyards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 19:42:06 #874701

ok, I think stay the first night at Montrex make sense for me, and from there I will take golden pass to interlaken then lucerne.

The train from Montrex to interlaken looks strange though, somehow I didn’t find direct route on the timetable and there is always 1 or 2 connection from Montrex to interlaken. Does that sound right?

Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2018 at 19:46:10 #874702

Yes. You have to change at Zweisimmen as the railway gauge changes. Also generally at Spiez. See http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass from my earlier post.

In July you would be advised to make reservations on the Montreux to Zweisimmen leg if travelling on the Panoramic train. See tickets.goldenpass.ch/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/reservation/re servation/f?p=151:1:41798638872176 96::NO:::

• The thread ‘Itinerary help for a 6 days Swiss July trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.