What Swiss city to add or skip on our itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2019 at 10:41:45 #820071

Hi this is my first post in this forum

We’ll be going to Switzerland for 19 days in June 2019, and I need some opinion about the itinerary that I made, I use google but I think I’ll have a better answer here 🙂

We are a group of three me, my fiancee and my mom, we’ll be traveling by train

What we’d like to do in our trip are:

– Sightsee some major tourist spot that are instagramable like Lauterbrunen (my fiancee obviously)

– Eat some local food (fondue, chocolate, raclette, etc.)

– Shop (or window shop if it’s to expensive)

– See snow (My fiancee never see one)

– Walking around a city (like exploring an “Old Town”)

– Tobogan Ride (I want this, badly)

What we won’t do in our trip are:

– Hiking, mountain biking, etc.

– Class (Chocolate making class, cheese making maybe)

– Museum tour

My initial itinerary is

Zurich – Arrive in Zurich from Paris on June 4th and spend 4 nights there

Appenzell (We’re having a photo session for our wedding in here, so this town can’t be skipped) – Arrive in Appenzell from Zurich on June 8th and stay there for 2 nights

Luzern – Arrive in Luzern from Appenzell on June 10th and stay there for 3 nights, probably going to get Mount Titlis daytrip here

Lugano (my mom wants to see this city, so this one is can’t be skipped) – Arrive in Lugano on June 13th and stay there for 3 nights

Zermatt – Arrive in Zermatt on June 16th and stay there for 2 nights

Laussane – Arrive in Laussane on June 18th and stay there for 2 nights

Bern/Interlaken (Still confused which one will be our basecamp for Lauterbrunnen daytrip, grindelwald etc.) – Arrive in Interlaken on June 20th and stay there for 3 nights

Zurich – Arrive in Zurich on June 23rd and stay there for 1 night before flying back to Indonesia

My question is what do you think of the itinerary based on the things that we’d like to do?

Do you think there are some town in there that we stay for too long because it won’t provide us with enough attraction that we want?

or maybe is there any town that we should skip entirely?

Thank you so much for your time, it’s our first time going to Switzerland on our own, really can’t wait to get there, sorry for my english by the way, I’m not really good at it

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2019 at 16:20:48 #904835

Hi Nickli and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Instead of Bern or Interlaken as a base for Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald…why not stay in Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald? 🙂

I think you can accomplish what you want with any of the towns you are currently planning on visiting – it is easy to avoid hiking, mountain biking or food classes if you want. Mountains near Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen will give you the snow you want. Any mountain over 3000 meters generally.

You may want to cut out a night or two from Zurich. A very expensive town whose main attraction is the old town (small), shopping, restaurants and museums (which you aren’t interested in).

Be sure to look through our town page here for details on each city you are looking at: http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo/towns

Use the timetable to plan out your trips between towns and mountains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You’ll want to look at a rail pass to help save you money on your travel. Read about how to choose the best one here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Let us know if you have more questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2019 at 8:02:01 #904836

Hi Lucas thank you for your quick reply

Yes, I’ve been thinking about staying in Lauterbrunnen actually, I’ll totally consider your suggestion, I was not sure of the hotel quality and price, I’ll take a look at that

I’ve been thinking about cutting days at Zurich, but wasn’t so sure, thanks to you I think I’m going to do just that

Thank you so much for being so helpful, have good day!!!

Tree
    Participant
    6 posts
    25 February 2019 at 19:02:01 #904837

Reduce time in Zurich is the key here. Even if you don’t add a new spot in its place you can add time in a location or two of your choice. Well worth it. Or even add a spot of course but I sometimes like to “live” in a place for a little bit. Good luck!

• The thread ‘What Swiss city to add or skip on our itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.