Need prepaid SIM card (8 days) from Geneva Airport

• Susheeltyagi
    Participant
    9 posts
    27 July 2022 at 19:57:55 #827899

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have booked a 7 days holidays in Switzerland with my family. We will land in Geneva Airport from UK. I need your help to buy the local Sim Card either Sunrise or Salt. I will be mostly use for data on my mobile. I have failed to find any mobile shop near Geneva Airport on google map. Please guide me from where to buy a Prepaid Sim card locally at airport.

Also any recommendation for any good prepaid sim plan as well for 8 days.

Thanks & Regards

Susheel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Jenniferx430
    Participant
    2 posts
    27 July 2022 at 21:25:10 #944839

Do you need a SIM card because your local carrier does not provide international services?

Shasukhy
    Participant
    20 posts
    27 July 2022 at 21:46:31 #944840

Hello Susheel,

We r now in Switzerland and I had taken the Travellers WIFI in Zurich airport on kandio. I think it’s available in Geneva airport as well.

A 15 days unlimited data plan cost me ₹ 6300 approx ( got a 10 % discount due to a promotion on this forum).

I can confidently tell you after 7 days of usage that this is the best data plan for anyone visiting Switzerland. It’s convenient to book ( check site TravellersWifi.com). U can pick up at Geneva airport and return it back there in a post paid enclosed envelope (separate charge for the same) by dropping it at any post box in the airport (this I have to experience when we return on 4th August).

The WIFI dongle worked everywhere in trains during our journey and we r very happy with it. The advantage is u can link multiple devices on the same WIFI and it works seamlessly. ( It worked very well for me & my wife)

Let me know if you need any clarifications. I recommend you check the post relating to Travelers WIFI on this forum.

Thanks

Susheeltyagi
    Participant
    9 posts
    27 July 2022 at 21:51:38 #944841

Hi

Thanks for reply, I need the local sim card from Geneva Airport as roaming is very expensive from UK. I will mostly use the data while traveling from Interlaken and We will buy the 8 Days Swiss Pravel Pass when we reach there. Without data is very difficult to survive.

Thanks

Susheel

Susheeltyagi
    Participant
    9 posts
    27 July 2022 at 22:01:40 #944842

Thanks Shasukhy for the reply. I have checked the option shared by you. This is also the good option but we can’t make phone call in case of emergency or need call locally.We will land there on 4th Aug to 11th night.

Please share the 10% discount link for the device. travelerswifi.com is showing me Rent 8 Days CHF 69.90. I think the Prepaid Sim would be bit cheaper (2.5 to 3.0 Chf@day).

Thanks & Regards

Susheel

Shasukhy
    Participant
    20 posts
    28 July 2022 at 6:51:14 #944843

Hello Susheeltyagi,

Yes. This option is a little more expensive than a prepaid SIM card, but has unlimited data which is an advantage.

I took an international roaming plan from India on my Jio network, which didn’t cost much, however, the data charges would have been heavy and with our usage, the plan would have got used up in one day. I put off the mobile data on the phone and am only using for receiving and making calls to India, which is cheaper. And use the Travellers WIFI for data.

I had found the thread for the Travellers WIFI in one of the emails, received from the forum. Copying the URL below. You can check whether any discounts are still available. In my case, the discount coupon was available till 9th July.

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/discount-on-swiss-mobile-wifi-for-travelers

All the best for your forthcoming trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2022 at 8:20:45 #944844

Hi Susheel and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

I can highly recommend the Travelers Wifi. We received great reviews from the forum members. You can read about it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/simcard.

You can read about other options on that page too, like budget prepaid SIM cards, just scroll down on that page until you see the title ‘Option 2: budget prepaid SIM card for data/calls/text (recommended for regular usage)’.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Susheeltyagi
    Participant
    9 posts
    28 July 2022 at 11:04:58 #944845

Hi Ildiko,

Thanks for the reply. The budget prepaid SIM card option is relay good from UK. But now I do not have enough time to order as delivery time would take 5 to 6 working days and 24 hrs need for the sim activation. We will start from UK on 3rd Aug. late night from the Gatwick Airport.

Swiss Travel Wifi would cost me CHF 74.40 for 8 days including Prepaid return envelope.

Now only option is local sim card would be the best for me. But I do not know any local shop of any mobile sim card provider near Geneva Airport. No information is available on internet for this.

Can anybody give me any mobile shop direction near Geneva Airport.

Thanks

Susheel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2022 at 13:07:31 #944846

Hi Susheel,

some shops at the airport may sell sim cards for tourists. As far as I know, the Exchange Desk also sells Yallo and Lebara sim cards, at least they used to sell. After you walk out of arrivals turn left towards the busses and after cc. 50 meters you’ll see an Exchange desk on your left.

Note, that you should have an unlocked mobile to be able to use a Swiss prepaid sim card.

I am not sure how much they will cost, I had a Swiss Lebara sim card a few years ago, then they charged 50 CHF for that sim card. It wasn’t a prepaid one but with a subscription.

Ildiko

Susheeltyagi
    Participant
    9 posts
    28 July 2022 at 15:23:08 #944847

Thanks Ildiko, I will try at the Airport as per your comments.

Thanks

Susheel

• The thread ‘Need prepaid SIM card (8 days) from Geneva Airport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.