Scenic train connections for 7 days Switzerland

• Eileen
    Participant
    3 posts
    14 July 2019 at 12:34:15 #822845

Hello Everyone,

We have successfully mapped out our itinerary for our trip to the Alps but I am really at a loss on which trains to use to get us from each town. We want to take the most scenic routes. Please let me know what you think. I would really appreciate it!

Eileen

Here is our itinerary:

Zurich to Lucerne Oct 4-5

Interlaken Oct 5-6

Gruyeres Oct 6-7

Montreux Oct 7-9

Zermatt Oct 9-11

Zermatt back to Zurich Oct 11

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2019 at 13:47:23 #917758

Hello Eileen and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you’re coming along to Switzerland.

To find out about the best train connections between your destinations use the timetable provided below. Make sure you read how it works, it’s a fabulous tool for planning.

From Lucerne to Interlaken I would travel via the Brünig Pass, so via Meiringen rather than via Bern.

Hope the timetable helps you figure out the timings, otherwise feel free to get back to us for further support.

Btw – you will find helpful input of most of your planned destinations by typing them into the search bar of this page.

Best,
    Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 July 2019 at 23:02:23 #917759

Gruyeres to Montreux go via Montbovon where you will join the Golden Pass route (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass). You could even take the Golden Pass route Interlaken to Gruyeres.

Zermatt to Zurich you could take the Glacier Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) or same route on regular trains as far as Chur and then on to Zurich (time permitting).

Alternatively go Zermatt to Zurich via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The faster more direct but less scenic route between Spiez and Visp incorporates the lengthy (in distance) but short (in time) Lötschberger Base Tunnel.

As a side observation you are doing a lot of hotel swapping with that itinerary.

Eileen
    Participant
    3 posts
    15 July 2019 at 2:20:23 #917760

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you SO MUCH for your input on the best scenic routes to take. It’s so difficult not knowing exactly which options to take when you really have no idea! So, thank you. Yes, I realize that our itinerary is quite aggressive but we’re alright with it. Our goal is to relax a bit in Montreux, Zermatt and, finally, in Vienna!

We’ve made our hotel arrangements but, if you have any restaurant recommendations, particularly for Zermatt, please let me know. My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary while there so we would like something special.

Again, thank you!

Eileen

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 July 2019 at 2:31:07 #917761

Hello Eileen,

You’re welcome.

You’ve picked a good place to enjoy a wedding anniversary. Sorry I can’t help with restaurant recommendations I will be making my first visit to Zermatt this September so let me know if you find a good spot. 😎

I have made a note to seek out Findlerhof in Findeln which I read about on the thread I linked to. I think it may be a little out of the way to get to though.

Some other keen gourmands will no doubt chime in directly.

Eileen
    Participant
    3 posts
    15 July 2019 at 12:28:02 #917762

Hello Steph,

Thank you for your helpful input! Between your advice and Rockoyster, I am feeling much better about planning our train routes!

Eileen

• The thread ‘Scenic train connections for 7 days Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.