Recommendations on Swiss train pass for 6 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 19:01:52 #811786

Hello, I will be in Switzerland from 24th May to 29th May, we are a couple with a 5 yr old.

My Itinerary is as below, please let me know if its doable or I can add in something more. Also if we would like to do a golden pass train from Lucerne to Interlaken.

Also based on this itinerary i would like to know if we should go for a swiss travel pass or half fare card.

24th May – Reach Zurich in the evening by 7 pm

25th May – Sightseeing Zurich Old town by walk and Leave to Lucerne after lunch and explore a bit of lucerne (walk to Chapel Bridge)

26th May – Going up Mt. Pilatus and leave to Interlaken

27th May – Jungfrauh Mountain full day

28th May – Cruise Lake Thun and Lake Brienz and leave to Zurich

29th May – Leave Zurich early morning flight back home.

Also please let me know an average budget i should keep in mind for food. We are looking at eating mostly budget friendly nothing fancy.

We have already done the hotel bookings etc

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 7:56:10 #863175

Hi GopikaReddy and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For this itinerary I would lean towards the Swiss Travel Pass. You won’t need to buy any tickets on your trip – except the train from Grindelwald on to Jungfraujoch – so its much more convenient, just hop on a train and go.

The itinerary looks nice, very doable, not too much or too little. Be sure to be flexible with mountain trips – keep the weather in mind and don’t commit to the trip unless the weather is decent!

Average food prices in Switzerland are about 15 to 25chf per meal. You can cut the cost down if you buy pre-made food at local grocery stores like Coop, Denner and Migros (salads and sandwiches for 6 to 12 chf).

You will be on a section of the Golden Pass route when traveling between Luzern and Interlaken.The rest of the route continues on to Montreux. The only way to try and incorporate this is to cut out a Lake cruise on May 28 (and maybe both).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 11:49:47 #863176

Thanks a ton Lucas, this really helps and assures me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 12:08:55 #863177

Hi Lucas,

I am planning to buy the swiss travel pass in the airport. Will the cost differ? Thanks in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 14:38:36 #863178

The price will be the same if you buy at the airport or online.

Buying the Swiss Travel Pass online has the added benefit of not needing to go to the rail office and waiting in line for the pass after you land at the airport (and you have an electronic back-up copy).

You can buy it online here and have it emailed to you to print at home if you like.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 15:04:05 #863179

Sure I will buy them online then!!

I had another query while looking up for ticket prices for Grindelwald on to Jungfraujoch which option do i choose in the link .http://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/e n/tickets/bergbahn/ang ebote/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 16:49:01 #863180

Hi,

With the Swiss Travel Pass you only need to buy a ticket from Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch (and you get 25% off the price).

It is easier to look at the price list here for Jungfraujoch. Click the link at the very bottom of the page for a PDF. Scroll down to the box with GRINDELWALD at the top (from) and look to Jungfraujoch. Normal price is 95chf one-way and you will pay 25% less.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 17:22:50 #863181

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for answering my queries so patiently.

The one way fare is 95 chf with 25% discount so i will be paying up and down for 2 people with discount 284 chf ? Correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 19:09:26 #863182

Happy to help,

and no, the normal price is 95chf. You will pay 25% less when you buy your ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2017 at 13:19:04 #863183

Thanks Lucas 🙂

• The thread ‘Recommendations on Swiss train pass for 6 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.