Scenic train options - routes and pass coverage

Scenic train options - routes and pass coverage

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mimimiu
Mimimiu
1 post
Apr 9, 2017 - 9:44 AM

Hi!

I'm planning my Switzerland trip, and need some advice on trying to choose one of the scenic train rides as part of my trip. My questions are:

1. Which is the best? Golden Pass, Glacier Express, Bernina Express?

2. I’m a bit confused as to each of their routes, if we have to take the entre journey start to finish, or can we board at towns which the trains stop at? Is there a website for each of this that shows the route and stops?

3. For the stops – can we get off and get on again? If we do this do we need two separate reservations?

4. Are all these routes covered by the Swiss Rail Pass which I am planning to get?

Any help at all is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Annika
Annika
4949 posts
expert &
Apr 9, 2017 - 3:16 PM in reply to Mimimiu

Hi mimimiu!

Welcome to MySwissAlps. Let's look into your questions:

1. That's hard to tell. All journeys have their own specific charm. Please compare for yourself; all journeys are described through myswissalps.com/activi ties/scenictrips/train. Which route is best may also depend on the rest of your plans and which base town(s) you pick. I suggest you study the information at myswissalps.com/plantr ip/doityourself/compos eitinerary too. The map posted by Alpenrose in this recent thread may help as well: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/1-week-switzerland-holiday-in-may-with-car-and-tra.

2. No, you can get on and off along the way. Please refer to the pages I mentioned above for descriptions of the journeys and links to the official websites and timetables.

3. If you get off and take a next train, then yes, you'll need separate seat reservations.

4. If you're referring to the Swiss Travel Pass: yes, all mentioned routes are for free except for seat reservations. Please study myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity for details.

Does this help you out?

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018