Need suggestion for 6 days itinerary Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2017 at 7:10:14 #811131

Hello,

My wife and I have plans to Switzerland for 6 days (12-17 April 2016). Need suggestion for our itinerary below :

Day 1 : Arrive at Zurich Airport (08.30am) and go to Stein am Rhein + Rheinfall (Hotel Zurich)

Day 2 : Explore Luzern(Hotel Luzern)

Day 3 : Go to Interlaken by Golden Pass scenic train (arrive at 09am), and then change train to Lauterbrunnen (arrive at 10am). Visit Schilthorn, Murren, Gimmelwald, Wengen, Maanlichen –> until Sunset 08pm (Hotel Lauterbrunnen)

Day 4 : Back to Interlaken (arrive at 10am), Visit Oberhofen Castle/Lake Thun and Giessbach Waterfall/Lake Brienz (Hotel Interlaken)

Day 5 : Visit Zermatt (arrive at10am), by cogwheel train go to Gornergrat, and by cable car go to Blue Lounge/Blauherd (Hotel Zermatt).

Day 6 : Joining Glacier Express (08.52 am) and get off at Andermatt. Continue to Lugano for Visit : Bellinzona Castle and Parco Ciano.

My question is as follows :

1. Is my above itinerary (especially on day 1, 3 and day 6) realistic/can be achieved each day?

2. Pls advise for the cheapest train tickets from Zurich Airport to Stein am Rhein + Rheinfall.

3. Buy Swiss Travel Pass via online (happy rail/SBB) is need validation at Luzern station or not? (I will used the STP on day 3/Golden Pass train to Interlaken).

4. If the mid April weather can support our activities?

Thank you so much for your advised 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2017 at 8:04:49 #860265

Hi Robertsu1268 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Day 1: this is ok to do from the airport – are you planning on taking luggage with you or heading to Zurich hotel first?
      Day 3: I think you will find this too much to do. If the weather cooperates go to Schilthorn and perhaps visit one or two other towns if you want. If the weather is poor don’t bother going up to Schilthorn at all and focus on activities around Lauterbrunnen.
      Day 6: Zermatt to Lugano via Andermatt is about 5 or 6 hours. Are you going to overnight in Lugano with more time to visit the area the next day?
    2. A direct ticket is about chf14 from Zurich. You could also buy an all zone day pass for Zurich and the region for about chf34 for multiple trips that day. You can buy either online or just before boarding the train.
    3. What Swiss Travel Pass are you going to buy? Are you getting an 8 day to cover your entire trip? Validation is not normally required – simply enter your first date of use when buying it online and you are set for however many days the pass is valid for: 3,4,8 or 15.
    4. Weather in the higher altitudes will still be very cold and snowy (ie Schilthorn) but the it can be quite pleasant in the lower altitudes and towns you plan on visiting. Be prepared for cool rainy weather and cold and snow if you go up in the mountains.

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have further questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2017 at 9:03:45 #860266

Thank you so much Lucas… GBU.

• The thread ‘Need suggestion for 6 days itinerary Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.