Suggestion on an 8 day Swiss itinerary in August?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2017 at 14:48:51 #812104

Hi,

We have planned a tour for 8 days in Switzerland starting on the 31st of September for 8 days. Our current plan is as follows and would request any suggestions or changes to the below mentioned:

Day 1: Arrive at Zurich Airport early morning and head to St Moritz by train. We would be there for 1 day. Kindly suggest what should be the must do things in St Moritz.

Day 2: We shall take the train from St Moritz to Lucern. For the day we plan to visit the key attractions including the Swiss Transport Muesuem, Chapel Bridge, the lion monument and if possible do a dinner cruise on the lake lucern

Day 3: We shall head to Mt Titlis and spend ¬2 or 3 hours at the top. Kindly suggest what can be added to this day once we are done with our visit to Mt Titlis. Can we add Mt Pilatus this day?

Day 4: Kindly suggest some plans for this day or should we do Mount Pilatus on this day?

Day 5: Travel from Lucern to Grindelwald where we would be staying for the next 3 days. After reaching Grindelwald, we plan to explore the place as well as take paragliding or other fun activities at the First station. Kindly suggest if we should make any changes here. Should we instead do a city tour of Interlaken?

Day 6: Today we plan to go to Jungfrau in the morning and then visit the Lauterbrunnen falls on the way back and then come back to our hotel in Grindelwald. We would love to show our children a Swiss farm. Kindly suggest any references who can be contacted for visiting a farm in Grindelwald / nearby places

Day 7: We dont have any plans as yet but i was thinking if we can do a trip on the golden pass line to Montruex – visit the choclate factory, cheese factory and also the castle de chillion. Would this be possible on one day trip?

Day 8: Check out from Grindelwald and reach Zurich and do a trip to the Rhine falls. What could be the other alternate tour options in Zurich?

Day 9: Take our early morning flight from Zurich to back home.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 9:47:14 #864401

Hi Rikengop,

Day1: Click here for our list of recommended activities to do in and around St. Moritz here.

Day3: It is about 2 hours from the top of Mt. Titlis to the top of Mt. Pilatus so both in one day is possible
    but long – perhaps save for day 4? Plan your trips with the Swiss railways timetable here.

Day4: For other options in and around Luzern click here.

Day5: I don’t think a city tour of Interlaken is needed, I would focus on other activities nearby

Day6: Ballenberg open air museum would be a great option near Interlaken.

Day7: Yes, you could do the Golden Pass to Montreux (about 3-4 hours) check the timetable link on Day 3. The Chocolate train is also a nice option and can be done as an all inclusive – click here for more details.

Day8: Other than a visit to the RheinFalls there aren’t many other natural sites nearby. A day in Zurich itself could be quite nice along with a boat cruise on Lake Zurich.

Have you looked into a rail pass for your trip? I would recommend the Swiss Travel Pass for your suggested itinerary. Have a look here for more details and how to buy the pass online. This way you don’t need to always buy a ticket for each trip.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 9:59:32 #864402

Many thanks to Lucas for your elaborate reply. I have a few follow ups :

1 The link for St Moritz that you sent doesn’t work. It says page not found.

2 For day 5, could you suggest any farms near Grindelwald which we can visit?

3 For the chocolate factory, do I need to have bookings, in case I don’t opt for the chocolate train and go by an alternate train. Similarly for the cheese factory as well would I need to have a prior booking?

For the travel pass, Yes I have explored the option of buying the Swiss Travel Pass and shall be buying the family pass for the 8 day travel once I land at the Zurich Airport

Once again, many thanks for your advise

Riken Gopani

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 10:22:36 #864403

Hi RikenGop,

1. Sorry for the broken link – it is fixed. Also, there is a search box on the top right of our website to search for towns, activities, trains etc.
    2. I don’t know of any right in the Grindelwald area no. Perhaps other members know of some options for you. There is a listing of farms you can visit in the Interlaken area on the Interlaken tourism website here. Some options are possible to visit on a day trip from Grindelwald.
    3. No you don’t need to pre-book if you take regional trains to the area and not the chocolate train itself.
    4. It would be a lot easier, I think, to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online and have it emailed to you for printing at home (you can order the Swiss Family Card at the same time for free). Then you don’t have to go to the railway office after landing – just hop on the first train and go!

Cheers!

• The thread ‘Suggestion on an 8 day Swiss itinerary in August?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.