Need suggestion to finalize my 2 days trip Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 17:58:36 #812545

Hello All..

First of all thanks a ton for such a wonderful site which has helped me plan my whole trip in Switzerland..But I need some expert advice on finalising my trip in Lucerne..My itinerary is as below :

15th Sept – Reach Zurick at 7 AM after 13 hrs flight from India..Move to Lucerne directly..checkin Hotel and Local sight seeing such as Chapel Bridge..Lion Monument etc..

Qs 1) Advise me of how to utilise the day ? Any other short trip or local sight seeing worth doing the same day..???

16th Sept – Early trip to Mt Pilatus ( Lucerne -> Alpnachstad by Boat -> Pilatus by Cog wheel train (SPEND SOME TIME ) -> Back Via Kriens by Cableway -> Lucerne by Train or Bus …

Qs 2) a) Any tips for this trip ? b) Any other places worth stopping over during the trip ? c) Any alternate path for the trip better than the mentioned above ? d) Is the whole trip covered in Swiss Rail pass ? I have bought 8 days rail pass e) How much time would it generally take to complete the trip ? And after completion any suggestions to utilise that days’ time ??

17th Sept – Early trip to Mt Rigi and catch Golden pass train to Interlaken as early as possible.. ( Lucerne -> Vitznau by Boat -> Mt Rigi by train -> SPEND some TIME -> Return via Weggis by Cablecar -> Lucerne by Boat.

Qs 3) Same as Q2..a)Any tips for this trip ? b) Any other places worth stopping over during the trip ? c) Any alternate path for the trip better than the mentioned above ? d) Is the whole trip covered in Swiss Rail pass ? e) How much time would it generally take to complete the trip ?

Qs 4) My main concern is I will be moving to Wengen by Golden pass route the same day and want to reach in day light so that I enjoy the scenery on the way..Is that possible after doing the Rigi trip to catch a 2 Pm or 3 PM train from Lucerne to Interlaken..??

Qs 5) Do you think I should interchange the dates of Mt Pilatus & Mt. Rigi..?

Please note I have decided to skip Titlis as I will be doing Mt. Jungfrau and Mt, Schilthorn during my 3 days stay in Wengen..I would like to add some short hikes of 1 to 2 hours as well on 15th and 16th in Lucerne if u can advice some..We(me & my wife) both are 28 and 26 respectvly and average build.. Please answer my questns..

I know it has been too long due to the detail that I have provided..But due to the fact of so many generous advisers present I have dared to do so..Expecting response point wise if u can..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 July 2017 at 3:26:52 #866402

Hi Ronnywitty-

Glad you like the website.

Here is a start on answering your questions-

Things to do in Luzern:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

To understand timing of travel to Pilatus, the Rigi, etc., please use the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The trips you have suggest do not have any obvious other things to do in the short time you have selected. Since you will likely be jet-lagged when you arrive in Luzern, you might use time in Luzern after your trip to Pilatus to do a bit more sightseeing. You can indeed visit the Rigi and go to Interlaken in daylight via the Luzern-Interlaken Express on the Golden Pass route:

http://www.timebie.com/sun/in terlakench.php?q=9

You have until almost 8 PM to reach Interlaken in daylight, and the journey from Luzern takes 1 hour and 50 minutes every hour at xx05 until 2105.

To complete the journey in daylight, you should catch the 1805 or earlier. To decide if you can catch a 2PM or 3PM train, please use the timetable, and decide how much time you wish to spend on the Rigi. Just guessing, but the 305 PM departure from Luzern should be possible, but why rush it? If you are concerned with timing, also consider the cograil from Rigi Kulm to Arth-Goldau, for frequent train service to Luzern. It may or may not not be faster, but might offer better connections. Use the timetable.

The first boat to Vitznau leaves Luzern at 0812 and takes 1 hour and 4 minutes to reach Vitznau.

I know of no reason to interchange the Rigi and the Pilatus journeys…the time table can guide you.

In Luzern, you might walk along the lake shore form the Transport Museum to the city.

Longer hikes are available, which contain short segments, but not in the city:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

However, you can easily spend an hour or two walking around the city itself.

By the way, we appreciate it if you do not use abbreviated “text-talk” as a courtesy to those who do not have English as a first language:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

Every time someone calls me “u” I think of the German U-boat or U-bahn, and wonder why I am under. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2017 at 18:19:57 #866403

Hello Slowpoke..

Thanks a lot for the response..I will certainly keep that in mind not to use abbreviated words. 🙂

1. Well my question is are there any stop overs during the pilatus and rigi trip to stop by and spend some time ??

2. Are the whole rigi trip and Pilatus trip covered under my rail pass including boat,cogwheel and cable car ??

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 July 2017 at 18:25:30 #866404

Hi RonnyWitty,

1. You can stop where you like and spend as much time as you like. It’s an independent trip, no restrictions! All details are on our Pilatus and Rigi pages.

2. Yes, it is all covered. Please see here for what’s included in your Swiss Travel Pass.

Have fun!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 July 2017 at 21:48:19 #866405

Hi Ronnywitty –

<<“1. Well my question is are there any stop overs during the pilatus and rigi trip to stop by and spend some time ??”>>

There are some hikes on the Rigi, including a pleasant one form Rigi-Kulm to Rigi Staffel-Höhe, then out over the fields on a path to Känzeli (Chänzeli), then back to Rigi Kaltbad. Nice views over the lake and toward Luzern from Känzeli.

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=5&la yers=Wanderland&E=2678 245&N=1211125

However, I had the impression that you were in a hurry to catch the train to Interlaken.

Nothing obvious along the routes to/from Pilatus, but you can stop at the lift station partway down at Fräkmuntegg if you go back through Kriens via the cableways.

map.search.ch/?pos=661902,204693&z=10 24&poi=bergbahn,haltes telle,zug

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 5:06:24 #866406

Hello Arno/Slowpoke,

Thanks for the response.

“Nothing obvious along the routes to/from Pilatus, but you can stop at the lift station partway down at Fräkmuntegg if you go back through Kriens via the cableways.” – I have this thing in my plan already.. 🙂

“However, I had the impression that you were in a hurry to catch the train to Interlaken.” – Yes you are right..I have to catch atleast a 4:05 PM train so that by 6 PM I will reach Interlaken and then move to Wengen in good light as well and reach before 7.30 PM. Because I suppose it would be dark in the mountains well before sunset..Not sure just my guess..So atleast half an hour before I wanted to reach..

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 July 2017 at 8:35:51 #866407

Hi Ronnywitty-

<<“I have to catch atleast a 4:05 PM train so that by 6 PM I will reach Interlaken and then move to Wengen in good light as well and reach before 7.30 PM. Because I suppose it would be dark in the mountains well before sunset..Not sure just my guess..So at least half an hour before I wanted to reach..”>>

This website gives more information than the site that I linked before:

This one gives a much better sense of daylight hours, but Spiez is the closest town that it shows:

http://www.timeanddate.com/su n/switzerland/spiez

Civil twilight in Spiez on September 17th is at 2007. Sunset is at 1936

Down in the Lauterbrunnen Valley, it may be dark sooner…the mountains block the sun. However, Wengen is half way up the mountainside, facing south and west. It will have sunlight later than the valley. probably somewhat comparable to Spiez, although perhaps not quit as late. The sun can be visible longer when you are up in the mountains, provided that other mountains don’t block its light. If you have a cloudy day, of course, that will mean an earlier twilight.

If you catch the 1605 train from Luzern, you will be in Wengen at 1851……..45 minutes before sunset.

If you catch the 1705 train, you’ll indeed arrive at 1951, 15 minutes after sunset, but will have twilight for about 15 minutes after you arrive at Wengen.

Is your hotel close to the station? If not, they’ll generally send a small electric cart to pick up you and your luggage if you telephone when you are at the station. Either way, you won’t get lost, but, indeed, you’ll want to catch the 1605 to have a safety margin. If you are concerned, you might check before hand if the hotel will pick you up.

Going to the Rigi –

The earliest boat from Luzern to Vitznau with good connections to Rigi Kulm is the 0812, arriving Rigi Kulm at 0947. The next is at 0912, arriving 1047. Etc.

Returning to Luzern –

On your planned return via the cableway from Rigi Kaltbad to Weggis, you could leave Rigi Kulm as late as 1400.

The only problem with that is that you have a 15 minute connection from the Luftseilbahn (LSB, cableway) at Weggis to the Schiffstation, and it is a 15 minute walk. Downhill, but no time to spare. I assume you’ll leave your luggage at the station in Luzern…..

If instead of using the cableway via Weggis, you stay on the cograil train and continue back down the mountain to Vitznau, you’ll catch the same boat to Luzern, which stops at Vitznau a few minutes earlier than at Weggis, with a less than 100 meter walk to the boat and 9 minutes to do it.

So, to be very safe, if you choose to go back via the Weggis LSB, I’d take the 1300 cograil train to Kaltbad. You will not have to rush to get the boat.

That is a very nice scenic ride on the cableway. I use it regularly when I stay at Rigi Kaltbad.

The walk I mentioned previously would take as little as one hour or as much a little less than a couple of hours. So, I’d not try it unless you took the earliest boat (0812) to Vitznau, arriving at Rigi Kulm at 0947, looked around for 15 minutes, and started your walk down hill as far as Rigi Staffel Höhe and turned out toward Chänzeli quickly. Or, you might squeeze it in if you caught the next (hourly) train down to Staffel Höhe, and then walked via Chänzeli. I could do it, because i know the way well. If I were you, I’d not try either one, if you want to surely catch the 1605 from Luzern to Wengen. If you are a “speed walker” and check out the route carefully on the maps before you try, you could do it, but you would have to go quickly . I’d not try it for the first time without more leeway in your schedule. I like to stop and take photographs. Those judgements are very personal.

Return via Arth- Goldau?

An alternative is to return from Rigi Kulm to Luzern via Arth Goldau.

In that case, you would catch the 1404 down the mountain to Arth-Goldau, walk 268 meters to the main line train platform and catch a 1514 to Luzern, arriving at 1541.

There are two problems with that idea –

1.- You only have 7 minutes for the connection at Arth-Goldau, and it is tight, because you have to go down a batch of of stairs at the bottom station (Talstation, valley station) of the Rigibahn , then hurry 268 meters to the main platform. So, you might want to catch the 1304 down from Rigi Kulm.

2.-It is not a very scenic route.

The surest route with no rushed walking for an approximately 1400 return from Rigi Kulm is to go back via Vitznau. Otherwise, you will have a safety margin of about one hour if you go on the other routes but leave Rigi Kulm at about 1300. And if you decide to leave Rigi Kulm earlier, the trains down run once per hour.

You can think about the schedules and decide if you want to spend 1, 2, or 3 hours at Rigi Kulm.

You can leave Luzern at 0912 instead of 0812, and you can leave Rigi Kulm at different times.

If you do have spare time when you get back to Luzern, you can walk along the river and around the old city easily…it is less than 10 minutes from the main station.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 16:59:31 #866408

Hello Slowpoke..

I couldn’t have asked for more detailed response. Thanks a lot for that. I guess you have cleared all my answers.

So what I concluded is I will try my best to catch the first boat which is at 0812 else 0912. Go via Vitznau to Rigi Kulm..ENjoy time there..No more short hikes..and plan to return by 1 PM from Rigi Kulm to Kaltbad to Weggis LSB via cablecar.

Here is where I am bit confused !! From Weggis LSB, to catch a boat to Lucerne I have to walk till Schiffstation which is a 15 mins walk (assumed fast walking)..???

Please note I have decided not to take the Arth Goldau route while returning and return via Weggis only. And while going up to Rigi Kulm I will go via Vitznau. Thanks to your detailed suggestion.

Regards,

Sambeet

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 July 2017 at 20:10:30 #866409

Hi Sambeet –

<<“Here is where I am bit confused !! From Weggis LSB, to catch a boat to Lucerne I have to walk till Schiffstation which is a 15 mins walk (assumed fast walking)..???”>>

Yes- if you look up the journey in the timetable, that is the specified time.

Look at this map for the view of the whole route.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false&X=2 10352.50&Y=676847.50&z oom=7

Switch it to aerial imagery and zoom in near Weggis and the lake, for more guidance.

The attached *.JPG shows the details of the walk.

You will descend about 60-65 meters over the course of the walk, which is a bit less than 1 km.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 July 2017 at 8:57:14 #866410

Hi Sambeet –

One more comment –

There are bus stops shown on various maps that go downward from the Weggis LSB into Weggis.

Those are for schoolchildren coming down from ( or going back up to) the mountain and have very limited service.

You cannot use them on your schedule, if at all.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 9:28:43 #866411

Hello Slowpoke..

I got that information.. I was confused because I located Schiffstation somewhere distant from Weggis so got confused. But not I location the exact location and you are right it would take a min of 14 min atleast to cover the distance to catch boat.

Thanks a lot slowpoke for your help.

Regards,

Sambeet

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 July 2017 at 9:44:18 #866412

Hi Sambeet-

<<“Schiffstation”>>

By now you have figured out that it means ship landing or boat dock…”ship station” and is a generic term like railroad station.

German capitalizes all nouns.

Actually, nouns also carry with them a pronoun, indicating grammatical family (called “gender”).

So, the word is “die Schiffstation”, to be precise.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 15:54:37 #866413

“”<<<But not I location the exact location and you are right it would take a min of 14 min atleast to cover the distance to catch boat.>>>”” Sorry for the typing error..Its actually “”But now I found the exact location and you are right it would take a min of 14 min atleast to cover the distance to catch boat””..

And yes I figured that out someway .. 😀 ..Thanks for your tips on that.. 🙂

Regards,

Sambeet

• The thread ‘Need suggestion to finalize my 2 days trip Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.