Need to change my itinerary for predicted rains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 1:16:57 #811714

I am travelling to Switzerland from 18th to 25th May and am staying at Lucerne, Wengen and Zurich. I am planning to cover Mt Pilatus, Mt Rigi, Lake Lucerne, Lucerne city, Jungfrauh, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and Zurich. However, the weather map is showing rains throughout. Is it really going to be raining throughout the day in the entire week? Does it rain heavily in Switzerland? Do I need to modify my itinerary for the rains?

Thanks

Vishal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 7:32:56 #862917

>> I am travelling to Switzerland from 18th to 25th May and am staying at Lucerne, Wengen and Zurich. I am planning to cover Mt Pilatus, Mt Rigi, Lake Lucerne, Lucerne city, Jungfrauh, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and Zurich. However, the weather map is showing rains throughout. Is it really going to be raining throughout the day in the entire week? Does it rain heavily in Switzerland?

Hi Vishal,

It is too early to worry about what the weather will be like in the second half of May. Weather forecasts are only reliable 24-48 hours beforehand. Check these pages for the best online weather forecast and information about how the weather works in Switzerland

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

>> Do I need to modify my itinerary for the rains?

If it were me, I would certainly not change my plans in terms of where I planned to stay.

You may have to change your plans on any given day, and do something else, e.g. if you had planned a mountain-top visit and the mountain top was in the clouds. The key is to be flexible. Do your mountain-top visits on the first available clear day, and other activities, such as boat rides, on later days or on days when the weather is not the best. You may well end up being able to do everything you planned, but perhaps in a different order.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, that will give you added flexibility in terms of where you can travel to in order to take advantage of bad weather options.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 12:36:20 #862918

Hi Vishal,

I wouldn’t change plans either. I don’t find Switzerland very rainy (though I grew up in Vancouver, Canada which is essentially a rain forest).

I’ve noticed the rain is rarely very hard here nor does it last for long – and oddly enough (and luckily) it seems to rain most often at night! 🙂

The key is be flexible as Slowpoke said and have a nice rain jacket just in case 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 13:35:20 #862919

Thnaks Alpenrose and Lucas!

As a contingency, in case I am unable to go to one of the mountains (Pilatus, Rigi and Jungfraugh) due to the rains – do you suggest I take anyone of the panoramic trains on that day? I have not planned any panoramic train journey so far. Also, I have bought the 8 day Swiss Family Travel pass.

Which, if any, Panoramic journey would you recommend and what is the additional spend over and able the Swiss Travel pass, would I need to do.

Thanks

Vishal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 15:54:04 #862920

The easiest and least expensive (fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass and no reservations required) is the Golden Pass route. You can start in Interlaken or Luzern and take a panoramic train to Montreux (and return) if you like.

Have a look over our information page on the Golden Pass route here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Need to change my itinerary for predicted rains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.