Which roads require vignette in Ticino?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 11:41:13 #817190

Hello. I note that a vignette is needed to drive on Switzerland’s motorways but not on other roads. I intend to travel in Switzerland near Lake Lugano. Can it be confirmed that a motorway would include the A2, North from Lugano, but not, for example, the road along Lake Lugano from Menaggio (in Italy) to Lugano (which is the SS340 in Italy but doesn’t seem to have a road number in Switzerland). Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    10 July 2018 at 16:21:35 #890986

Hello,

Please read the information at the following link: http://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/e n/home/information-individuals/documents-for-travellers-and-road-taxes/motorway-charge-sticker–vignette-.html There is a downloadable map. As for the Ticino, you will see that the only roads where a vignette is required is the A2, which runs from the Italian border all the way north to the Gotthard Pass, and the A13 which starts a bit north of Bellinzona and runs north-east to the San Bernardino Pass. There is no need for the vignette on all of the other roads in the Ticino.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 20:48:29 #890987

Thanks Peterli, this is much appreciated. Kind regards, Colin

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 July 2018 at 1:37:39 #890988

Hello again,

About 1,6 kilometres after you cross the Italian/Swiss border, you will come to a bifurcation in the road, with a simple sign pointing to the left with the word Gandria. At the very top there are some places for parking. I suggest that you park here and walk down the narrow road to visit Gandria. Automobile access below this place at the top is restricted. You will not be disappointed with what you see here. If you “google” or “google image” the word Gandria you will see what I mean. Gandria can also be reached by boat from Lugano, in case you are going to be in the area for a while.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 6:10:28 #890989

Hi Colin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Be sure to read through our travel by car section on the website. We list some tips on driving here, traffic regulations, maps and more details on the vignette.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/car

• The thread ‘Which roads require vignette in Ticino?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.