Nendaz: Family vacation in late May/early June?

• kartikay
    Participant
    1 post
    20 April 2023 at 5:58:05 #829634

Dear forum!

We are planning a family vacation in the Swiss Alps. A few requirements were:

– Good hiking trails from the accommodation or from lifts nearby

– Hike in the area

– Visit Zermatt and hike in the Matterhorn area

– Have a great view from the living room, ideally watch the sunset over the mountains (peculiar, I know!). Hence was looking for something that is west/north facing.

– Not be too isolated, have a bit of a crowd! (which is why I preferred this over the neighboring Veysonnaz)

– Do a day-trip to Montreux, or other towns on the lake

Which brought us to Nendaz, as it ticks all the boxes I believe. Any other mountain village I should look at?

My question is also around the timing/weather. we are planning end May / early June. The main concern is that the summer season would not have properly started. Would hiking trails be open at this time, and the lifts for those trails? Or would there still be a too much of snow around? How about shops/restaurants/bakeries etc.? We are going with an enthusiastic 7 and 12 year old, and also with reasonably fit parents (~70 years old). We have a van

We have already been to Lucerne, Lauterbrunner/Grindelwald, and hence was exploring Valais, but open to other areas too.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2352 posts
    20 April 2023 at 14:17:24 #953572

Hello kartikay,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Thank you for sharing your plans. Valais is lovely region to visit! More information on the region, activities, where to stay can be found in the below link:

Nendaz is well-known mountain destination for winter sports and also a lovely spot to spend the summer especially if you enjoy hiking and exploring nature. It is located in the Upper Rhone Valley within the Valais region. You can find additional information about Nendaz from the official tourist website: https://www.nendaz.ch/en/Z13448/summer-activities

Day trips to Zermatt and Montreux are possible. Zermatt is further so an early start would be beneficial.

In regard to hiking trails being open, a very valid point. Some trails may still be closed. The best thing to do is check with the local tourist office. It seems some of the mountain lifts are not scheduled to open till early to mid June, weather permitting: https://www.myswissalps.com/weather. You can read more in the Nendaz website above. If there is no access by lift to some of the restaurants then, they would be closed too. In the village itself, I would say the bakeries, shops and restaurants would be open.

As you mention you will have a van, here is a useful link in regard to driving in Switzerland: https://www.myswissalps.com/car/drivinginthemountains

I hope this helps and gives you a start to further planning.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2023 at 22:11:40 #953573

The Valais is great. Any of the villages / resorts on both sides of the valley are good bases. You should find most of the hiking paths open by May, unless you go up into the high mountains

I have stayed at Ovronnaz and Nax in the past

• The thread ‘Nendaz: Family vacation in late May/early June?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.