New here! Hut to hut hike tips Switzerland needed!

New here! Hut to hut hike tips Switzerland needed!

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
wanderlust1
wanderlust1
2 posts
Oct 7, 2017 - 5:48 AM

Hello. New here and very excited to find this site and forum. I have slowly been making my way through all the content. I thought i would post and see if some fellow users could offer suggestions. I definitely plan to keep doing my own research but this has been a bit overwhelming!! My friend and I have now been to Switzerland three times and we love it. Next summer (late August) we would like to return and do some hut to hut hiking. I have been reading about all the routes. The Via Alpina green trail initially caught our eye. But the research is just beginning. I want to share what we are HOPING for and maybe someone can offer suggestions. We are looking to hike for 7 to 9 days. We would like to find a route where we can walk onward each day and stay in huts. We are hoping to do that and NOT have a base with day hikes out/back each day. We are experienced hikers (three times on parts Camino de Santiago, one time on part of Via Francigena, hikes at home) but by no means experienced advanced trekkers. I am scared of heights so hope to avoid things with "narrow ledges" or the like type of description! We hiked the North Face Trail last summer and loved it. Scenery like that would be ideal!! We will have some time to adjust a little bit to altitude as we are spending a week playing tennis five hours a day in Gstaad prior to the hike. Realize the hike will likely be at higher altitudes. We can go wherever to start the hike. Any tips, suggestions, things to research further, etc are much appreciated! THANK YOU!!

ben
ben
39 posts
Oct 7, 2017 - 1:42 PM in reply to wanderlust1

Hello,

Hut to hut trek is nice. I did a week long hut to hut trek in the Dolomites with via ferrata and loved it. However, you should be aware that most mountain huts are at higher altitude between 2000m -3500m. Therefore, it is highly likely/unavoidable that the trek/trail to the mountain huts will involve narrow ledges with steep dropoffs (aka exposure)..

Good luck with the research ! It does take time but I really enjoy discovering and learning so many new things.

wanderlust1
wanderlust1
2 posts
Oct 7, 2017 - 2:06 PM

thanks Ben. good to learn the term...expousre. What i hope to avoid!! ha! So I guess that is one thing I am trying to figure out....if there is a place possible to have the kind of experience I describe in my original post, be able to walking for a stretch of 7-9 days and in that particular portion of walking, NOT have "exposure". I don't mind walking long days but the thought of narrow ledges, steep drop-offs, having to grab cables/ropes/chains bolted to rocks, etc does not sound fun to me due to fear of heights. thanks everyone.

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
Oct 7, 2017 - 3:35 PM in reply to wanderlust1

Hi wanderlust1 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To get some ideas and thoughts from other members do a search for "hut hiking" on our search bar (top right). It will bring up previous posts on this subject.

Also be sure to visit the website for the Swiss Alpine Club for hut information and reservation options.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017