Best rail pass for my 5 night trip to Switzerland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2017 at 6:04:41 #867482

Hi avirupg15,

You can see which routes are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here and the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland here. The PDF maps will show the coverage of the pass, be sure to check the legend. The Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland covers all the routes you mention.

You can read about the walk from Männlichen to the Kleine Scheidegg here, the rating is easy.

You can read about many hiking trails in the Jungfrau region here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 9:36:13 #867483

Hi,

Thanks for your helpful replies everytime.

Since I am still on research mode and my swiss travel plan is always evolving. The only thing I am done with till now is flight booking and accomodation.

Initially I was considering the 8 day swiss pass but after coming across those amazing scenic trails from Grindelwald or Wengen I am having second thoughts. I think a 4 day Bernese Oberland pass along with a half price card serves me better. So just sharing the revised itinerary and expecting some pro tips from you folks.

Day 1

Reach Basel at 9 from Amsterdam then head off to Lucerne. (Half Price card)

Check in and they go for Mt. Rigi excursion based on the weather if not roam locally(Half Price card)

Day 2

Go for Mt.Titlis Excusion (Half price card same benefit from Engelberg I believe)

Visit Titlis nad while coming back stop at Trübsee for exploring.

Day 3

Early morning we start for Lauterbrunnen from Lucerne via Interlaken Ost (Bernese Oberland Pass.. no reservation required)

Check in at Lauterbrunnen then after taking a bit rest start off for Wengen around 1 pm..

From Wengen – Männlichen cable car then follow the trail to Kleine Scheidegg. (With Bernese oberland pass everything free).. While coming back from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen/Lauterbrunnen what should we do walk back back to Wngen then catch train or other alternatives are there

Day 4:

Start for Grindelwald early. Then catch cablecar to First and hike to the Bachsee (All free with Bernese Oberland pass)

Then in the late afternoon catch train to Interlaken Ost and take a boat ride across Thun and visit Spiez. Then back to Lauterbrunnen. (All transportation covered with BOP)

Day 5:

From Lauterbrunnen cross the street (or use the underground walk) to the cable car to Grütschalp.

Then follow the trail to Mürren begining at the Grütschalp station where I depart the cable car. (Free with BOP)

I can catch the gondola up to the Schilthorn. Alternatively, if the weather looks like it is coming in during the afternoon, do this trip differently.

Take the cable car from Lauterbrunnen up to Grutschalp, the train from Grutscahlp to Murren, walk 15 mins through town to the cable carand head straight up to Schilthorn then take the gondola back to Murren.

From Murren then return down to Stechelberg ,

visit to the Trummelbach falls and walk along the lovely Lauterbrunnen valley back to Lauterbrunnen. (Trummelbach falls covered with BOP or Swiss pass?)

Day 6:

Lauterbrunnen to Bern: Reach Bern around 11 check -in luggage in station and go out for a city tour. If possible visit Gurten (Cable car free with BOP ????)

come back around 4 and take train to Geneva to catch the flight back to Amsterdam at 9pm. (Train is free with BOP and requires no reservation along the entire route)

I do not think there will be any further changes to the above itinerary. Please correct me if any of the above stated details are incorrect.

So the disadvantage I see with Half price card is the Rigi Excursion will not be free and the train to Engelberg for mt.Titlis.

The disadvantage with Swiss travell pass will be the cable cars to First from Grindelwald will not be free and the one from Murren to Männlichen .

I hope I am not missing out on any thing.

Tx,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 12:43:22 #867484

Hi avirupg15,

Everything looks nice.

Day 3: you could do the walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg (either way) and then return by cable cars

Day 5: Trummelbach falls isn’t covered by any rail pass. It is a local attraction so no discounts are available on the entrance fee.

Day 6: Gurtenbahn is a funicular actually (http://www.gurtenpark. c h/de-CH/Gurtenbahn). I don’t believe it would be covered by the Regional Pass-Bernese Oberland actually…it’s a private company but it is only 10.50CHF round-trip so it isn’t too much if you decide to do it.

The train to Geneva would not be free with the Regional Pass-Bernese Oberland – it is outside its validity area but a portion of the trip would be free if you go via Montreux.

All routes on the Swiss Half Fare Card are 50% off. Some cable cars in the Grindelwald are, while not free on the Swiss Travel Pass, discounted. Be sure to read here about validity and check the PDF map.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 13:57:44 #867485

1. So which pass you think is advisable still the 8 day swiss pass or a mix of 4 day BOP with half price card.

2. I was thinking with BOP all the cable cars except the one to Sclithorn is free?

3. And lastly how much will be the cost of a ticket from Bern to Geneva via Montreux with BOP?

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 August 2017 at 11:43:12 #867486

HI avirupg15,

1. I’d strongly recommend to do the math and use our Excel spreadsheet here. It is the only way to tell which option works out cheapest.

2. Well, Jungfraujoch (which is not a cable car but a train) is not free either, as well as a few buses and indeed the Schilthorn. Everything else is pretty much included. You can best have a look at the map: http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/validity.

3. A ticket for that route costs CHF 66 (it’s not included in that pass). This is not the Golden Pass route (just saying that to be sure). With a Swiss Travel Pass it would be free.

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 15:29:51 #867487

With Swiss travel pass the Golden Round trip to mt. Pilatus is free?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 2:29:06 #867488

In 2017, yes.

Alpenrose

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The thread ‘Best rail pass for my 5 night trip to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.