Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  New Voralpen-Express trains from December 2019

New Voralpen-Express trains from December 2019

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Arno
Arno
14119 posts
expert &
Oct 18, 2019 - 6:04 AM

Hello travelers,

The Voralpen-Express is a train that connects St. Gallen to Lucerne; a pre-alpine route without high peaks, but beautiful scenery with mostly rolling hills. New more comfortable "Traverso" trains will start running on this route from 15 December 2019. From 2020/2021, they will also be used from Basel and Zurich to Locarno via the scenic Gotthard route, and from Bern to Chur. The trains have two catering zones and a family zone and a remarkable copper colored exterior. Note that there's no guarantee that the new rolling stock will be used at any specific time. Older and newer trains may both be used for a while.

For more details, photos and a video of the train, please see:

Tip: if you arrive in Zurich and travel to Lucerne, an alternative for the direct route is taking a train to St. Gallen and switch to the Voralpen-Express there. This trip takes about 3.5 hours instead of 60-70 minutes.

Please login to see the attached documents
Pickergal
Pickergal
84 posts
Oct 18, 2019 - 1:24 PM

Arno,

Would the Voralpen-Express be free with the Swiss Travel Pass? It doesn't look like there is a reservation fee. Is that correct? We are seriously considering taking this route to Lucerne once we arrive in Zurich.

Thank you so much for the info.

rockoyster
rockoyster
7840 posts
expert
Oct 18, 2019 - 3:20 PM in reply to Pickergal

Yes it’s covered by the STP: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity. No reservations required. It’s just really a commuter train. I saw one parked in a siding near Herisau two days ago. It looks the goods. They say it is copper coloured but I thought it looked gold. Whatever it is a big step up from its rather rather tired and daggy predecessors.

ps Arno - I just got here too soon. Was really looking forward to a ride on the new train.

Pickergal
Pickergal
84 posts
Oct 18, 2019 - 3:36 PM

Thank you Rockoyster.

Arno
Arno
14119 posts
expert &
Oct 18, 2019 - 5:53 PM in reply to rockoyster

Well Rockoyster, I'm sure you don't need an excuse to go back to Switzerland, but now you have one ;-)

rockoyster
rockoyster
7840 posts
expert
Oct 18, 2019 - 6:02 PM in reply to Arno

😎

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019