New Year in Interlaken – where to stay, what to do

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 5:38:36 #813616

Hi

I’m still undecided about my itinerary but feel like I need to book accommodation for New year. Am coming from Alsace where we will have had a car for 1 week but thinking of leaving it in Basel as Swiss trains sound amazing although probably more expensive than keeping the car an extra week. Have 5-7 days to play with and get down to Geneva where I have a friend to stay with. We’re 2 parents plus our teenage boys 19 yr old and 17 yr old. Was thinking Bern 2-3 nights, then Interlaken 3 nights coinciding with New Year. Sunny Days in Interlaken sounds like a nice place to stay but also came across Haus Schönegg in Kiental which sounds great. Not sure how easy the latter is for getting into Interlaken for a bit of New Year activity although we’re not really into serious partying stuff. Is it right that the activities are more during the day on the 1st and again the ‘Harder Potschete’ on the 2nd day-time? Am hoping weather permitting to get to Jungfrau. Comments and help would be much appreciated. Julia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 8:41:25 #871569

Hi Julia,

>> Am coming from Alsace where we will have had a car for 1 week but thinking of leaving it in Basel

I don’t rent cars in Europe, but I have the impression it will cost you more to leave it in Switzerland rather than France (if you rented it in France to begin with).

>> as Swiss trains sound amazing

They are, and you won’t have to contend with the possibility of challenging driving conditions in winter.

>> We’re 2 parents plus our teenage boys 19 yr old and 17 yr old … Interlaken 3 nights coinciding with New Year.

There will be free fireworks coordinated with music by Queen on 1 January at 19:45 on the Höhematte West in Interlaken. That’s the big park opposite the Victoria-Jungfrau Grand Hotel in the Höheweg.

http://www.touchthemountains. ch/

(not available in English as far as I can tell)

>> also came across Haus Schönegg in Kiental which sounds great. Not sure how easy the latter is for getting into Interlaken for a bit of New Year activity although we’re not really into serious partying stuff.

Kiental is really too remote to be a good base for sightseeing in the Jungfrau Region, or for activities in Interlaken. Travel time between Interlaken and Kiental is 1 hour 19 minutes at least, and the last connection for the day back to Kiental is at 17:29 daily.

>> the ‘Harder Potschete’ on the 2nd day-time?

Yes. Things kick off at 11:00 on 2 Jan with a lunchtime concert, and the procession starts at 14:00.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/service-updates/events/event-260322428.html

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 16:32:41 #871570

How advisable is the Harder Potschete? We are staying in Brig these days, would a trip to Interlaken be recommended?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 19:44:16 #871571

Hi

Thanks for the advice above. Sounded like Kiental was just a bus ride away from others’ comments so great to know that it’s not. I’ll go back to Interlaken. Anyone stayed at Sunny Days ?

Re the Harder Potschete question- I’ll leave someone knowledgeable to reply. I only read about it in the Lonely Planet guide so no idea how good it is. Was just thinking it’d be nice to be somewhere at New Year where there’s some sort of public entertainment.

Anyone got experience of those packages which advertise a gala dinner/ entry to concert/ 2 nights accommodation etc ? Julia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 0:10:04 #871572

Hi Julia,

>> Sounded like Kiental was just a bus ride away from others’ comments so great to know that it’s not.

Actually, two trains and a bus. You can plan trips like this and find out about the route, transfers, and how long it takes by using the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> Anyone stayed at Sunny Days?

No, I haven’t stayed in Interlaken, as I prefer the scenic beauty of Wengen, a village of chalets situated on a terrace above the Lauterbrunnen Valley with wonderful views into the valley and towards the Jungfrau. Wengen is generally a 45-minute trip from Interlaken, with a change at Lauterbrunnen, and transport services run until around midnight. It might be difficult to find accommodation for Christmas/New Year this late in the year though.

I think you were considering youth hostels at one stage. The youth hostel in Interlaken, adjacent to the Interlaken Ost railway station, still has 4-bed private rooms available, with ensuite shower and toilet, if that interests you:

http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/ hostels/interlaken

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 0:31:39 #871573

>> How advisable is the Harder Potschete? We are staying in Brig these days, would a trip to Interlaken be recommended?

I love those sort of cultural events, but whether it is worthwhile for you is something to decide for yourself, bearing in mind what you would be giving up if you decided to go to watch the Harder-Potschete procession instead. You could get from Brig to Interlaken in a bit over an hour.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘New Year in Interlaken – where to stay, what to do’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.