Night light to use in Swiss hotel bathrooms

• jlwt
    Participant
    7 posts
    25 July 2022 at 14:44:08 #827886

I like to travel with a low level night light to use in the hotel bathroom at night. Does anyone have one they can recommend that I can pre purchase in the US, or should I wait until I arrive and try to find one in Zurich? Thanks Jan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    25 July 2022 at 19:08:48 #944793

Hi Jan,

You can find LED night lights in various Swiss stores and supermarkets. Interdiscounts and Fust have a few affordable ones. But might be a good idea to get them in the US as they may cost a lot cheaper there.

Regards,

Anna

jlwt
    Participant
    7 posts
    25 July 2022 at 19:49:54 #944794

Thanks for the reply. I would like to buy one in the US if possible, but I am not sure they will work as they say the plugs are EU or that they work in Europe, but none specifically say they work in Switzerland. I was hoping someone had bought and used one and could give me which brand.

Anna
    6355 posts
    25 July 2022 at 19:56:09 #944795

Hi Jan,

Perhaps get the type that uses rechargeable batteries? So you won’t have to worry about incompatible plugs. Not all bathrooms have plug points.

You can find information about Swiss plug typeshere: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/swissoutlet

Regards,

Anna

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    25 July 2022 at 23:39:46 #944796

I would probably wait and buy one in Switzerland, so that you could get the proper plug. I think you could get one in Zurich at one of the Coop stores. The Swiss outlets are a bit different than ones in other European countries we’ve been to, like France or Germany. They are three pronged, but fit differently. The adapters we had brought along did not work, so we had to buy a couple new ones (at Coop) while we were there.

Laurae
    Participant
    47 posts
    26 July 2022 at 0:06:20 #944797

Note also that often the outlets are set with three receptacles to an outlet, but they’re too close together to use more than one adapter. It’s a good idea to get a type J adapter that you can plug two cords into. They’re out there and they don’t cost much. The “universal” adapter with so called plugs for multiple countries are bulky and often don’t fit the special recessed section of Swiss outlets. I’d skip those entirely.

Laura E

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    26 July 2022 at 3:04:53 #944798

Hi jlwt,

I bought a universal adaptor set at Best Buy. It cost about twenty dollars (4 years ago, its probably more by now) and it was good for several European countries, including Switzerland. It wasn’t big and bulky and I put it right into a fanny pack with my other electronic goods (cords, USB’s etc.). There were even a few pieces that I didn’t even need to bring and left home. Good luck, and have fun.

Danielsan

jlwt
    Participant
    7 posts
    26 July 2022 at 11:01:06 #944799

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I’ll get a dual voltage night light and take a plug adapter.

HeleneZ
    Participant
    13 posts
    26 July 2022 at 18:23:58 #944800

I just returned and for 2 weeks was able to use a cheap night-light bought here (Canada) from a dollar store with a Swiss adapter.

Incidentally, I was confused about which adapters to bring and brought both “J” adapters (3 prongs) and “C” adapters (2 prongs-said to be used in the EU and possibly in Switzerland)- both worked for me. It was more important to have the 6 sided base than the oval one.

Helene

jlwt
    Participant
    7 posts
    26 July 2022 at 19:40:46 #944801

Was it a dual voltage light and you just used the C or J plug adapter? I am having trouble finding a dual voltage night light. I was hoping to not have to take the currency convertor as my only other items are phone and ipad that don’t need the convertor.

I appreciate your help. I was hoping to do this ahead of time as I like to arrive prepared.

HeleneZ
    Participant
    13 posts
    26 July 2022 at 21:19:38 #944802

Sorry, I’m not sure if it was dual voltage but I doubt it as I bought it in a dollar store (and I can’t check as I forgot it there!). I didn’t use a convertor, just the adaptor.

Arno
    15481 posts
    27 July 2022 at 8:54:13 #944803

Thanks for your input HeleneZ! I hope you enjoyed your recent stay in Switzerland. If you’d like, you could share some experiences here: https://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports.

• The thread ‘Night light to use in Swiss hotel bathrooms’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.